According to WHO Chief, on the positive side, there’s the signal that “when you do containment measure like China is doing, you can actually see a decline in the cases and ultimately it can be contained”. On the other side, the increase of cases in the rest of the world, especially in Iran, Italy and South Korea, is bad news, he said…reports Asian Lite News
WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has said that the world is at a “decisive point” to tackle the coronavirus outbreak as new cases outside China have outnumbered the new cases reported in the Asian country.
“We are at a decisive point,” Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Thursday. “For the past two days, the number of new cases reported in the rest of the world has exceeded the number of new cases in China.”
“And in the past 24 hours, seven countries have reported cases for the first time: Brazil, Georgia, Greece, North Macedonia, Norway, Pakistan and Romania,” he added.
The WHO chief explained that by referring it as a “decisive point,” he was underlining both sides of a coin.
On the positive side, he said, there’s the signal that “when you do containment measure like China is doing, you can actually see a decline in the cases and ultimately it can be contained”.
On the other side, the increase of cases in the rest of the world, especially in Iran, Italy and South Korea, is bad news, he said.
“Then the two (sides) combined, it shows that we are actually in a very delicate situation where the outbreak can go in any direction, based on how we handle it,” he warned.
The WHO chief reiterated his call for all countries to act aggressively and swiftly. “Aggressive, early measures can prevent transmission before the virus gets a foothold.” he said.
Death toll hits 2,788 in China
The death toll due to the novel coronavirus outbreak in China has increased to 2,788, health authorities said on Friday, while the number of confirmed cases has risen to 78,824.
Chinese health authorities said it received reports of 327 new confirmed cases of novel coronavirus infection and 44 deaths on Thursday from 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps, media reported.
Among the deaths, 41 were in Hubei Province, two in Beijing and one in the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps, according to the China’s National Health Commission.
452 more suspected cases were reported on Thursday, said the commission.
On Thursday, 3,622 people were discharged from hospital after recovery, while the number of severe cases decreased by 394 to 7,952.
The overall confirmed cases on the mainland had reached 78,824 by the end of Thursday, and 2,788 people had died of the disease.
The commission added that 2,308 people were still suspected of being infected with the virus.
A total of 36,117 people had been discharged from hospital after recovery.
Iraq reports rise in confirmed cases
Iraq has announced a new case of novel coronavirus disease in the country’s northern province of Kirkuk, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the Middle Eastern country to seven.
A statement by the Iraqi Health Ministry on Thursday said that it has detected a new case of coronavirus for an Iraqi man, 51, who returned earlier to Iraq from neighboring Iran. After being transferred to a hospital, he was tested positive and was kept in quarantine in accordance with the international procedures, Xinhua reported.
Earlier in the day, a ministry statement announced a case of novel coronavirus for an Iraqi young man in the Iraqi capital Baghdad, who was also returned here from neighbouring Iran.
Recently, the Iraqi authorities have been taking a series of precautionary measures to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus after cases of the disease were confirmed earlier in the provinces of Najaf and Kirkuk.
Death toll rises to 17 in Italy
Italy has confirmed 122 more coronavirus cases, bringing the total number of confirmed cases to 650, authorities said.
According to the Italian health authorities, fatalities linked to the disease rose to 17 on Thursday, after three more people died in northern Lombardy region, Xinhua reported.
“All three were in their 80s — and specifically two people aged 88 and one aged 82 — and all had a delicate and critical clinical picture,” Angelo Borrelli, chief of the Civil Protection Department and extraordinary commissioner for the coronavirus emergency, told reporters.
“I would like to stress again also the positive news related to the number of infected people who have recovered, which has further increased to 40 in Lombardy,” Borrelli explained.
In the morning, the official had confirmed 37 cases of recovery in the same region, which is the most affected together with northeast Veneto.
“Adding them to those already mentioned — two people in Sicily and three in Lazio (around Rome), we have 45 people cured,” Borrelli specified.
2,022 cases in S.Korea, 13 deaths
The number of coronavirus cases in South Korea increased to 2,022 on Friday, with a total of 13 fatalities as the nation aggressively counters the fast-spreading virus with massive testing, particularly for 210,000 followers of a religious sect at the centre of the epidemic.
The 256 new cases brought the nation’s total infections to 2,022, the Yonhap News Agency quoted the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) as saying.
Only two days ago, the number of infections exceeded 1,000.
More than half of newly confirmed cases were linked to a branch of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus in the southeastern city of Daegu, 300 km southeast of Seoul.
Of the 256 new cases, 182 are in Daegu, and 49 are in the neighbouring North Gyeongsang Province.
Since raising the virus alert level to “red”, the highest level, on Sunday, health authorities have focused on halting the spread of the virus in Daegu, the epicentre of the virus outbreak in South Korea, and North Gyeongsang.
Experts said the number of confirmed cases is expected to jump in the coming days as health authorities have begun testing more than 210,000 members of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus.