The number of COVID-19 cases in India rose to 40 on Monday, with six confirmed cases from Kerala. On Sunday, five were confirmed positive by the State Health Minister. Three of these had travelled to Italy and had come in contact with two in the Pathanamthitta district….reports Asian Lite News
A three-year-old child has tested positive for the novel coronavirus in Kerala’s Kochi, confirmed the health officials here on Monday, taking the total number to six in the state.
The child had travelled to Italy along with his parents and had returned on March 7.
The family was kept in quarantine in a hospital where the child developed the symptoms.
This is the sixth positive case in the state.
On Sunday, five were confirmed positive by the State Health Minister. Three of these had travelled to Italy and had come in contact with two in the Pathanamthitta district.
The three had not declared their travel destination at the airport.
Meanwhie, one new case has been reported in Agra, pushing the total number of coronavirus cases in Uttar Pradesh to six.
The new patient was admitted to Agra district hospital while three suspected patients from Aligarh and four from Siddhartha Nagar have been quarantined.
Earlier, six members from the businessman’s family were admitted to the Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi and five of them had tested positive.
Health authorities have already screened more than 150 persons who came in contact with the Agra businessman.
The number of COVID-19 cases in India rose to 40 on Monday, with six confirmed cases from Kerala.
Death toll soars in Italy
The number of people to have died from the coronavirus in Italy has shot up by 133 in a day to 366, officials said.
The total number of infections leapt 25 per cent to 7,375 from 5,883, according to the Civil Protection agency, the BBC reported on Sunday.
The jump in figures comes as millions adapt to radical measures introduced on Sunday in an attempt to contain the outbreak.
Up to 16 million people in Lombardy and 14 provinces need special permission to travel under new quarantine rules.
Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte also announced the closure of schools, gyms, museums, nightclubs and other venues across the whole country.
The restrictions will last until April 3.
The latest figures mean Italy now has the highest number of confirmed infections outside China, where the outbreak originated in December. It has overtaken South Korea, where the total number of cases is 7,313.
Among the latest people to test positive in Italy is the army’s chief of staff. Salvatore Farina said he felt well and was self-isolating.
The strict new quarantine measures affect a quarter of the Italian population and centre on the rich northern part of the country that powers its economy.
The health system is under immense strain in Lombardy, a northern region of 10 million people, where people are being treated in hospital corridors.
6 new cases in Iraq
The Iraqi Health Ministry has announced two more deaths and six new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number of the confirmed cases to 60 in the country, of whom up to six have died.
The six new detected cases were one case in each of the provinces of Muthanna, Anbar, Dhi Qar, Najaf, Maysan and the Iraqi capital Baghdad, the ministry said on Sunday in a statement, Xinhua reported.
It also said that the two new deaths were registered in the two provinces of Maysan and Babil.
So far, Iraq has reported a total of 60 COVID-19 cases, with 27 in the capital Baghdad, seven in the province of Kirkuk, seven in Sulaimaniyah, six in Najaf, three in Wasit, two each in Diyala, Karbala and Maysan and one in Babil, Muthanna, Anbar and Dhi Qar.–
The Iraqi authorities have been taking a series of precautionary measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 after cases were confirmed in the country.
Meanwhile, Israel’s Ministry of Health announced on Sunday that 14 more Israelis were diagnosed with the novel coronavirus, bringing the total number of COVID-19 patients in Israel to 39.
The patients diagnosed with the virus include residents who came back from Spain, Austria, Belgium and Italy, Xinhua reported.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced the creation of an assistance fund of 4 billion new shekels (about $1.15 billion) for the companies affected by COVID-19.
Meanwhile, Israeli researchers, in collaboration with a Swedish pharmaceutical company that manufactures vaccines, are developing a vaccine to deal with the novel coronavirus, the Bar Ilan University (BIU) said on Sunday.
The BIU scientists are developing a system of harmless viruses containing various components such as the coronavirus envelope protein to test their response to substances and the efficacy of vaccines against the virus, the university said in a statement.