Advertisements
SHARE
JALALABAD, Sept. 8, 2019 (Xinhua) -- Afghan security force members take part in a military operation in Surkhrod district of Nangarhar province, eastern Afghanistan, on Sept. 8, 2019. Afghan forces had killed 32 militants in Surkhrod district of eastern Nangarhar province as cleanup operations continued, said an army statement released here Sunday. (Photo by Saifurahman Safi/Xinhua/IANS) by .
Afghan security force members take part in a military operation in Surkhrod district of Nangarhar province, eastern Afghanistan. (Photo by Saifurahman Safi/Xinhua/IANS)

The Afghan Interior Ministry said that the Taliban violated the three-day Eid ceasefire 38 times, killing at least 20 civilians and injuring 40 others.

The Ministry said in a statement on Monday that the Taliban violations included terrorist attacks, offensive attacks and mine explosions that were conducted in 10 provinces, reports TOLO News.

According to the Ministry, the Taliban conducted 19 blasts, 15 shellings, two ambush attacks on security forces, killing three people and abducting six others.

Also Read – Rouhani hopes for durable peace in Afghanistan

“This is against the commitments that the Taliban often make to reduce violence,” Interior Ministry spokesman Tariq Arian said.

The Afghan government on Monday stressed the need for a continuation of the ceasefire and said the Taliban is insisting on war and that they did not want a truce

“We have always wanted ceasefire… For years, ceasefire has been a key issue for us in any attempt for peace, but, unfortunately, the Taliban has always insisted on violence,” TOLO NEWS quoted presidential spokesman Sediq Sediqqi as sayinf.

Taliban has denied they violated of the ceasefire.

Pompeo, Taliban deputy leader held talks

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and the Talibans deputy leader Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar discussed the much-awaited intra-Afghan talks and the ongoing situation in Afghanistan, a spokesman of the group said.

The talks took place on Monday via video conference.

Singapore: U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo talks to Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha to explain the outcome of the summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore on June 12, 2018, in this photo captured from Pompeo's Twitter account.(Yonhap/IANS) by .
U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo

“Both sides talked about the inception of intra-Afghan negotiations and the status quo emphasizing that release of the remaining prisoners are essential for commencement of intra-Afghan negotiations,” Khaame Press quoted spokesman Suhail Shaheen as saying.

“The Secretary of State also welcomed announcement of ceasefire by the Islamic Emirate on the eve of the current Eid.”

This comes as the both the Afghan government and Taliban have released hundreds of prisoners following the signing of peace deal between Washington and Taliban earlier this year.

Also Read – Jaish-e-Mohammad active in Afghanistan

Meanwhile, senior government official said on Monday that Afghan government is convening the consultative Loya Jirga, the grand assembly of Afghan elders and representatives, to find a consensus on the decision to release the remaining 400 Taliban prisoners who are accused of crimes including murder, drug trafficking and abduction, TOLO News reported.

The prisoners in question were named on a 5,000-member list given to the government by the Taliban.

The Afghan government has so far released 4,600 prisoners on this list but has refrained from releasing the remaining 400.

GHAZNI, June 28, 2020 (Xinhua) -- Militants stand handcuffed after being arrested in Ghazni province, eastern Afghanistan, June 28, 2020. Ten militants have been killed as warplanes struck a Taliban gathering in Afghanistan's eastern Ghazni province on Sunday, provincial government spokesman Wahidullah Jumazada said. The security forces also captured six more militants from Ghazni city, the provincial capital, and its surrounding areas over the past couple of days. (Photo by Sayed Mominzadah/Xinhua/IANS) by .
Militants stand handcuffed after being arrested in Ghazni province, eastern Afghanistan. (Photo by Sayed Mominzadah/Xinhua/IANS)

At least 3,200 people will attend the Jirga, according to presidential spokesman Sediq Sediqqi.

The prisoners, he said, are accused of murder and also for abduction, as well as other crimes.

The Afghan government has not made public any further details about the Jirga and its committees or its duration.

Advertisements

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here