Home News Asia News 9/11: Blast Rocks US Embassy in Kabul

9/11: Blast Rocks US Embassy in Kabul

10
0
SHARE
Members of Afghan security forces stand guard near the site of a tractor bomb attack in Kabul, capital of Afghanistan, Sept. 3, 2019. The death toll from a massive tractor bomb explosion in Afghanistan's capital of Kabul has risen to 16 while 119 others were wounded, the Afghan Interior Ministry confirmed on Tuesday. The incident occurred at 9:55 p.m. local time Monday after a tractor bomb was detonated at the side of southern wall of Green Village Camp, in a residential area in Qabilbay neighborhood in eastern Kabul, the ministry said in a statement

The blast was caused by a rocket attack, a local reporter said. Blast at US embassy in Afghanistan on 9/11 anniversary

 by .
Members of Afghan security forces stand guard near the site of a tractor bomb attack in Kabul, capital of Afghanistan, Sept. 3, 2019. .

A powerful explosion occurred near the US embassy in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul, shortly after midnight on Wednesday, the anniversary of the 9/11 attack in the US. No casualties have been reported so far.

Images on social media show a plume of smoke rising near the building of the US embassy in the exclusion zone of Kabul where several other embassies are also located, Xinhua news agency reported.

The blast was caused by a rocket attack, a local reporter said.

An alarm was sounded by the US embassy after the explosion and it could be heard in surrounding areas.

There is no official report of any casualty yet but some casualties are feared.

No government official could be reached for more details and no one has claimed responsibility for the blast.

This is the first major attack in the Afghan capital since US President Donald Trump abruptly called off US-Taliban peace talks to end America’s longest war lasting almost 20 years.

Last week, two car bombs killed several people, including two members of an international NATO mission.

Trump said those attacks, in which one American soldier also died, were the reason he calls the US-Taliban talks “dead”.

Following Trump’s comments, the Taliban pledged to continue fighting against US forces.

In a statement to Al Jazeera, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said Washington would regret turning its back on talks spearheaded by high-level officials from both sides.

“We had two ways to end the occupation in Afghanistan. One was jihad and fighting, the other was talks and negotiations,” Mujahid said.

“If Trump wants to stop talks, we will take the first way and they will soon regret it,” he said.

September 11 marks the 18th anniversary of the attacks by al-Qaeda on the World Trade Center in New York in 2001. The US invaded Afghanistan in late 2001 in response to the attacks.

30 Taliban Militants Killed

About 30 Taliban militants were killed in an airstrike in Afghanistan’s Takhar province, a local source said on Wednesday.

In the strike that was conducted late on Tuesday acting on an intelligence input, about 30 militants were killed and some 30 injured, Xinhua quoted an Afghan army official as saying.

Armed with small firearms and rocket-propelled grenades, the targeted militants tried to launch a massive attack on the district centre, he said.

Three hijacked military vehicles were also destroyed in the strike, the official added, without mentioning whether the strike was conducted by Afghan Air Force or NATO-led coalition forces.

The Taliban has not made any comments yet.

Early on Wednesday, the anniversary of the 9/11 attack in the US, a powerful explosion occurred near the US embassy in Afghanistan’s capital Kabul. No casualties have been reported so far in that incident.

Leave your opinion

avatar
  Subscribe  
Notify of