Home Asia News Afghanistan Kabul Attack: IS claims responsibility

Kabul Attack: IS claims responsibility

191
0
SHARE
AFGHANISTAN-KABUL-BLAST by .
Photo show the blast site near Sidarat Square in Kabul, Afghanistan - (Xinhua/Rahmat Alizadah) (djj)

IS claims responsibility for Kabul attack. A statement released via the IS-linked Amaq news agency said the IS militants detonated their suicide vests after exchanging gunfire with the Afghan security forces, describing the attack as “Inghimasi”….reports Asian Lite News

Photo show the blast site near Sidarat Square in Kabul, Afghanistan –
(Xinhua/Rahmat Alizadah) (djj)

The Islamic State (IS) terror group on Monday claimed responsibility for the suicide attack on an army base that left nine persons dead and 10 injured in the Afghan capital.

A statement released via the IS-linked Amaq news agency said the IS militants detonated their suicide vests after exchanging gunfire with the Afghan security forces, describing the attack as “Inghimasi”.

Inghimasis are radicals assigned to fight deep into their target’s frontlines and blow up their explosive belts afterwards, Efe news reported.

Earlier on Monday, Afghan Defence Ministry spokesperson Dawlat Waziri told about the attack on the army battalion, stationed near the Marshal Fahim Military Academy in western Kabul, began around 5 a.m.

Waziri said that two extremists detonated their suicide vests, while another two died in a gunfire exchange with the security forces, and a fifth was captured alive.

Afghan security personnel cordon off the site of the attack on a military university in Kabul, capital of Afghanistan, on Jan. 29, 2018. Gunmen attacked a military university in Kabul, capital of Afghanistan early on Monday, triggering explosions and gun fight, with unknown casualties, sources and witnesses said. (Xinhua/Rahmat Alizadah/IANS)

Waziri added that five soldiers were killed amid the clashes and 10 wounded, who were transferred to a military hospital.

Monday’s suicide attack comes just after Saturday’s ambulance bomb attack here that left 103 dead and more than 200 wounded.

The ambulance attack came a week after a previous assault on civilians at the Intercontinental Hotel here killing more than 20 persons, including 14 foreigners.

Afghanistan is witnessing one of its bloodiest periods, following the end of North Atlantic Treaty Organisation’s (NATO’s) military mission although it continues its presence in the country for training Afghan forces.

In September 2017, both the US and NATO had decided to significantly increase their military presence in the country.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here