Asian Lite Newsdesk compiles a list of things you can do in this weekend. Sonam Kapoor’s Neerja is in local cinemas. There are two major events at Bhavan this weekend- `Nrityollasa—bliss of dance, by Priya Hema Bhavaeedin on Saturday (20th February) and A sitar concert by noted sitarist Smt Punita Gupta on Sunday, February 21. Send your events details to email@example.com. More details below:
- Neerja, the much awaited film inspired by a true story of a flight attendant who saved passengers’ lives during a hijacking, on September 5, 1986, Pan Am flight 73, opens in cinemas across UK on February 19, 2016. This gripping biopic of the youngest-ever recipient of Ashoka Chakra award is the second feature from award-winning commercials director Ram Madhvani, and stars Sonam Kapoor.
- Jayam Ravi stars in the first ever Tamil apocalypse movie, Miruthan, which is being released all over UK this weekend. In this film, he is cast opposite rising star Lakshmi Menon of Vedalam fame.
· Channo Kamli Yaar Di, an emotional Punjabi drama about a pregnant woman who travels to Canada in search of her missing husband, is being released this weekend in cinemas across UK.
· Akshay Kumar stars in the extraordinary true story of the airlift rescue in the backdrop of the Kuwait crisis, Airlift, has also been running to packed audience for the last four weeks in theatres across UK.
- Fitoor, the much awaited imaginative Hindi reworking of Dickens’ Great Expectations set in the Kashmir valley, has been running successfully for two weeks in Cinemas all over UK.
- Sanam Teri Kasam, a sizzling Hindi romance is also being aired this weekend in Cineworld.
- Siddharth stars in a dark, dystopian Tamil comedy, Jil Jung Juk, which has also been running with good audience for the past two weeks in Cinemas in UK.
Events at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan
· The Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan hosts an Open Day this weekend on February 20, after the success of the same last Autumn. Taster classes will be available in three styles of Indian classical dance—Bharatanatyam, Kathak and Odissi, and also in various classical music including Tabla, Mridangam, Carnatic Violin, Flute, Vocals and Vina. One can also try a language class in either, Bengali, Hindi, Tamil and Sanskrit. The Open day is from 10 AM to 2 PM.
20th FEB – Saturday: An evening of dance, `Nrityollasa—bliss of dance,` opens with Bharatnatyam performance by Priya Hema Bhavaeedin, in aid of two charities; Headway, improving lives after acquired brain injury in England and Laventure, a Technical School for Disabled, Mauritius. The event starts at 6 PM.
- A sitar concert by noted sitarist Smt Punita Gupta and her students is being held on Sunday, February 21, at 6 PM. She will be accompanied by Pt Rajkumar Mishra and students Dhanraj and Hevylen on Tabla.