Lord Dholakia supports the Department of Transport’s THINK! Drink Drive campaign….reports Asian Lite News
The campaign is to tackle driving, targeting those who do not recognise that even a small number of
drinks before driving can be deadly. It urges everyone to THINK! Before driving. The importance of the campaign was highlighted during the Coca-Cola Christmas Reception which was held in conjunction with FareShare; the UK-wide food redistribution charity tackling food waste and hunger, in the House of Commons last week.
Andrew Jones MP; the Road Safety Minister said: “Drivers know that drink driving is wrong. It can destroy families and ruin lives”.
Other speakers included Julian Hunt, Vice President of Public Affairs at Coca-Cola European Partners; and Lindsay Boswell, CEO of FareShare.
A research shows that half of drivers (51%) would not consider consuming any drinks before getting in the car. However, a significant minority of drivers are still prepared to have ‘a couple’ of drinks before driving. One in 10 people would consider having 2 or more drinks before they get behind the wheel. This increases to 1 in 5 among men aged 18 to 34. Our recent campaign targets males aged 17 to 34 with this mindset.
The Message to ‘all adult drivers’:
- any amount of alcohol affects your ability to drive
- it is not possible to say how much alcohol you can drink and stay below the limit — it depends on weight, age, sex, metabolism and of course, what you are drinking
- the safest thing to do, is to not drink any alcohol before driving
- if you drink drive, you risk a hefty fine, a minimum 12-month driving ban and a criminal record
- this doesn’t reflect the everyday consequences of being caught drink driving which can include; job loss, trouble getting into other countries, shame and loss of independence