Manchester City Council is offering free childcare for two-year-olds up to 15 hours per week for eligible parents.
“Early education is great for children,” the Council said ina press release. “Children improve their speaking and listening skills, make friends, have fun and are better prepared when it comes to starting school. Parents could use the 15 hours per week to take a course, find a part time job, or exercise knowing that your child is safe, having fun and learning too.”
Local Sure Start Centre can provide more information to access a childcare place, or alternatively, speak to your local day nursery or child-minder for more information.
SOME DETAILS ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
1) If your child’s second birthday is between 1 April and 31 August they can have a free place from 1 September
2) If your child’s second birthday is between 1 September and 31 December they can have a free place from 1 January
3) If your child’s second birthday is between 1 January and 31 March they can have a free place from 1 April
Are you eligible?
You will need to receive one of the following to be eligible:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- Support through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit. This applies only to those who have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190
- Universal Credit
- Working Tax Credit. This applies only to those who have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190
- The Working Tax Credit four-week run-on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- A current statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an education, health and care plan
- Disability Living Allowance for your child.
All children looked after by their local authority are entitled to a place, as are children who have left care through special guardianship, an adoption order or residence order. Registered asylum seekers are also eligible.
CONTACT: Visit the family services directory at manchester.gov.uk/freechildcare or
speak to your local nursery or childminder
or pop in to your nearest Sure Start Children’s Centre.