Kashmir Conference discusses the implications on the China Pakistan Economic Corridor on the lives of the people living in the former Princely State of Jammu and Kashmir….writes Irfan Tahir
The conference was held in Birmingham was organised by the JK International People’s Alliance which seeks to protect the interests of the people of Jammu and Kashmir.
The meet discusses the implications on the China Pakistan Economic Corridor in the region. The meet was attended by leaders from all leading Kashmiri parties, scholars, Councillors and prominent members of Kashmiri and Pakistani Civil Society.
This Conference unanimously agreed the following for implementation:
1. Declare that Former Princely State of Jammu Kashmir is one political entity.
2. Acknowledge Pakistan’s right to development, hence do not oppose construction of the China Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) however, the Gilgit Baltistan should also benefit from this mega project;
3. Request the relevant authorities to formulate policies that will empower people of Gilgit Baltistan, develop their educational, professional, and technical skills; and build infrastructure in such a way that people of Baltistan and Azad Kashmir could also benefit from the CPEC;
4. Urge both India and Pakistan to make serious efforts to resolve the Kashmir dispute in accordance with the aspirations of the people of Jammu and Kashmir State; and that will start a new era of friendship and cooperation which will bring economic prosperity and stability to the region;
5. Emphasis that State Subject Ordinance gives identity to all citizens of former Princely State of Jammu and Kashmir. It is regrettable that Pakistan has over the years violated this law in Gilgit Baltistan which has created serious social, economic and political problems because of migration of Pakistanis in to the region. We urge the government of Pakistan to respect State Subject laws and ensure that all non – local people settled here are repatriated;
6. Concerned about the denial of civil, political, economic and social rights to the people of Gilgit Baltistan and Pakistan Administered Kashmir; and emphasis that in order to promote development, urgent attention must be given to the promotion and protection of fundamental human rights as enshrined in the UN Charter;
7. Demand that treason charges against political prisoners must be dropped and all such prisoners, including Baba Jan must be released without any delay.
8. Call upon both China and Pakistan that the CPEC is being built through a disputed territory, therefore, a provision should be incorporated in the agreement that future government of the former Princely State of Jammu and Kashmir should have a right to negotiate new terms with the respective governments of China and Pakistan.
Asian Lite International, with editions from London & Dubai, is now the most influential newspaper for the Indian Diaspora. A new media with active presence in the social and digital platforms, make Asian Lite most popular for the Indian community across the world. Asian Lite is the first publication to identify the potential and promote the contributions of Asian professionals, especially in the IT and Medical sectors, to the global economy.