Home POLITICS OXFAM boss apologises over abuse of Haiti quake victims

OXFAM boss apologises over abuse of Haiti quake victims

242
0
SHARE

Oxfam’s Chief Executive Mark Goldring has offered its “humblest apologies” to the Haitian government over allegations of sexual exploitation by its staff…..reports Asian Lite News

 by .
Mark Goldring, Chief Executive Officer of Oxfam

Oxfam’s Chief Executive Mark Goldring on Tuesday apologised over sexual abuse of Haiti quake victims by the charity’s staffers.

“I make no excuses, I make an apology. My first concern is the women of Haiti and anyone else who has been wronged,” he told the international development committee.

Committee Chairman Stephen Twigg, a Labour MP, said it was striking how often Goldring needed to apologise, adding there was “a lot to apologise for.”

According to media, Oxfam’s international executive director Winnie Byanyima has also apologised, calling the scandal “shameful.”

Oxfam has also offered its “humblest apologies” to the Haitian government over allegations of sexual exploitation by its staff.

Goldring is under investigation for his handling of a sex abuse claim.

The scandal broke out when the Times, earlier this month, published allegations that Oxfam aid workers in Haiti had used prostitutes. Since then, thousands of people have cancelled their donations, said Goldring.