Shahida Shahid, 18, collapsed at the Printworks on Withy Grove in Manchester city centre on Friday night shortly after eating at the restaurant’s site in the Great Northern Warehouse
The teenager who died from a suspected allergic reaction following a meal at well-known burger bar Almost Famous is understood to have ordered a chicken burger reports Manchester Evening News.
Shahida Shahid, 18, collapsed at the Printworks on Withy Grove in Manchester city centre on Friday night shortly after eating at the restaurant’s site in the Great Northern Warehouse, on Peter Street, off Deansgate.
Police were called to the scene and the teenager was taken to hospital but she died on Monday.
A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said initial inquiries established the woman had eaten at the Great Northern Warehouse restaurant prior to her collapse and may have suffered an allergic reaction to her food.
GMP has now launched a joint investigation into her death with the Food Standards Agency.
The M.E.N. understands Shahida had a number of food allergies – including dairy and nuts – and ordered a chicken burger while at Almost Famous.
Her family were too upset to speak when we spoke to them.
Bosses at Almost Famous said they had been left ‘devastated’ by her death.
Marie Carter, company director of Almost Famous, added: “Our thoughts are with her family and friends. As the authorities are conducting investigations it would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage.
The restaurant, which remains open, declined to comment on whether any staff had been suspended.
A Food Standards Agency spokesman said: “An incident in Manchester involving a fatality potentially linked to an allergic reaction to food has been reported to the FSA and an investigation into the exact circumstances is underway.”