The UK on Sunday marked the first anniversary of the deadly London Bridge terrorist attack which killed eight people. Home Office has said that the UK faces severe threat from Islamist terrorism for at least another two years and the danger could increase further…..reports Asian Lite News
Prime Minister Theresa May said Britain’s determination to overcome the threat of terrorism “has never been stronger.”
“Today we remember those who died in the London Bridge attack and the many more who were injured, as we pay tribute to the bravery of our emergency services and those who intervened and came to the aid of others,” May tweeted.
Eight people died when three men drove into pedestrians on the London Bridge and then stabbed people in Borough Market.
London Mayor Sadiq Khan said he was “proud” of the way the city had responded to terror attacks, by “standing united in defiance and staying true to our values and way of life”.
Meanwhile, the Home Office has said that the UK faces severe threat from Islamist terrorism for at least another two years and the danger could increase further.
“In summary, we expect the threat from Islamist terrorism to remain at its current, heightened level for at least the next two years, and that it may increase further,” the Guardian quoted the Office as saying on Saturday.
“We assess the threat from extreme rightwing terrorism is growing.
“Globally, terrorist groups and networks of all ideologies continue to develop organically, exploiting social media, technology and science to further their aims and ambitions.”
The assessments emerged as the government prepares to unveil a strengthened counter-terrorism strategy.
On Monday, Home Secretary Sajid Javid will announce a range of steps aimed at boosting the authorities’ efforts to stop atrocities.
Security agencies and counter-terror policing have foiled 12 Islamist and four extreme rightwing plots since March last year.
MI5 and the police are running more than 500 live operations involving roughly 3,000 “subjects of interest”.