Home News World News Aleppo ceasefire back on track

Aleppo ceasefire back on track

28
0
SHARE
ALEPPO (SYRIA), Dec. 9, 2016 (Xinhua) -- A Syrian boy evacuated from the rebel-held areas of Aleppo is seen at the Jibreen temporary shelter in southern Aleppo, northen Syria, on Dec. 9, 2016. Nearly 5,000 civilians have evacuated rebel-held areas in the northern city of Aleppo on Friday, an official source told Xinhua. Leaving the rebel-held part in the east of Aleppo, the civilians arrived in batches to the Jibreen temporary shelter south of the city, said Ala Addien Qasab, an official with the Aleppo Relief Committee. The International Committee of the Red Cross said last week that over 30,000 civilians had fled eastern Aleppo toward the government-controlled areas. (Xinhua/Yang Zhen/IANS)
A Syrian boy evacuated from the rebel-held areas of Aleppo is seen at the Jibreen temporary shelter in southern Aleppo, northen Syria (Xinhua/Yang Zhen/IANS)

A new ceasefire deal has been reached and civilians and the wounded in east Aleppo were expected to begin evacuation from the city on Thursday morning….reports Asian Lite News

ALEPPO (SYRIA), Dec. 9, 2016 (Xinhua) -- A Syrian boy evacuated from the rebel-held areas of Aleppo is seen at the Jibreen temporary shelter in southern Aleppo, northen Syria, on Dec. 9, 2016. Nearly 5,000 civilians have evacuated rebel-held areas in the northern city of Aleppo on Friday, an official source told Xinhua. Leaving the rebel-held part in the east of Aleppo, the civilians arrived in batches to the Jibreen temporary shelter south of the city, said Ala Addien Qasab, an official with the Aleppo Relief Committee. The International Committee of the Red Cross said last week that over 30,000 civilians had fled eastern Aleppo toward the government-controlled areas. (Xinhua/Yang Zhen/IANS)
A Syrian boy evacuated from the rebel-held areas of Aleppo is seen at the Jibreen temporary shelter in southern Aleppo, northen Syria (Xinhua/Yang Zhen/IANS)

Under the terms of the deal, confirmed by two rebel officials, a ceasefire was expected to go into effect half an hour before midnight Aleppo time, the Guardian reported.

A spokesperson for Noureddine al-Zinki, one of the armed opposition groups in Aleppo, said the deal would also allow the evacuation of wounded in Fua and Kefraya, two Shia villages in Idlib province that are besieged by rebels.

The inclusion of Fua and Kefraya was a concession to Iran, which had opposed the previous ceasefire deal negotiated by Turkish intelligence and the Russian military.

An official from Ahrar al Sham, another key rebel group, denied however that Fua and Kefraya were part of the deal, which was reached after Turkish mediation.

Sources in East Aleppo said that shelling in the city stopped at midnight local time.

The new ceasefire agreement came a day after a previous evacuation deal appeared to unravel in the face of Iranian opposition.

Tens of thousands of civilians remained trapped without food, water or medicine under a hail of artillery and airstrikes on Wednesday after Iranian-backed militia who had spearheaded the ground assault on eastern Aleppo defied a ceasefire agreement brokered by Russia and Turkey to allow residents and opposition fighters under siege to leave the city.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here