Former Brazil midfielder Zico said he is considering running for the soon-to-be vacant position of FIFA presidency.
Incumbent Sepp Blatter dramatically resigned from the post after pressure steadily mounted on him following a series of corruption allegations against top FIFA officials, including its secretary general Jerome Valcke.
Zico, 62, is currently the coach of Indian Super League (ISL) franchise FC Goa. He used his Facebook page to express interest in football’s top job, reports Xinhua.
“I think football comes before politics,” Zico said.
“I don’t have support yet, but if it’s open (to anyone), I can become a candidate. It’s still an idea. Who knows?”
Seven top FIFA officials among 14 have been indictd by American Department of Justice so far. Swiss authorities have also began an investigation in to the corruption allegations.
Blatter won re-elction for the fifth time on Friday and had earlier stubbornly denied quitting amidst a host of FIFA corruption scandals. He has been the FIFA president since 1998 and won a fresh four-year term on Friday.
Blatter, after resigning, said an extraordinary meeting of FIFA’s executive committee would be held to determine when a new election is held.
Others expected to vie for the position include Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan, European football’s governing body, UEFA, chief Michel Platini and former Portuguese football star Luis Figo.
Blatter quit saying he “no longer had a mandate from the entire world of football” to lead the organisation.
The 79-year-old Swiss, however, denied having any knowledge of corruption at FIFA.