Massimiliano Latorre, one of the two Italian marines facing trial in India for killing of two Indian fishermen in 2012, was discharged from a hospital here Sunday where he had been admitted after he suffered a transient ischemic attack or a mini stroke.
Italian news agency ANSA, quoting medical sources in New Delhi, said that Latorre is “recovering very well” and “will return to the hospital for a few days for a routine check”.
The source told ANSA that Latorre “will have to follow certain therapies and to live in a peaceful environment”.
On Monday, the team of defence lawyers will submit a request for his transfer to Italy to continue treatment till his full recovery, the news agency said.
On Saturday, Latorre’s lawyers had submitted a request to the Supreme Court of India for his return to Italy “to allow his more rapid and complete recovery,” said ANSA, citing the Italian defence ministry.
An initial hearing is scheduled for Monday, Sep 8.
The request for return of Latorre is “motivated by the illness that necessitated admission (Aug 31) in a hospital in New Delhi”.
Italian Foreign Minister Federica Mogherini said in Rome on news of Latorre’s hospitalisation, “As it has always been in these months, we follow the case of the two marine riflemen every day, with the aim of bringing them back to Italy, it is a priority for the government.”
“I feel close to Massimiliano Latorre and I wish with all my heart that he can get back as soon as possible,” Mogherini said in a statement.
Latorre and Salvatore Girone are charged with the deaths of two Indian fishermen off the coast of Kerala while guarding the Italian-flagged oil-tanker MT Enrica Lexie in February 2012. They had mistaken the fishermen as pirates.