Home News Arab News Qatar Threatens To Withdraw From GCC

Qatar Threatens To Withdraw From GCC

257
0
SHARE
DOHA, June 6, 2017 (Xinhua) -- People walk past the Qatar Airways headquarters in Doha, capital of Qatar, on June 6, 2017. Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen joined Saudi Arabia and Egypt in severing relations with gas-rich Qatar, with Riyadh accusing Doha of supporting groups, including some backed by Iran. (Xinhua/Nikku/IANS) by .
People walk past the Qatar Airways headquarters in Doha, Qatar (Xinhua/Nikku/IANS)

Qatar set some conditions before the nations led by Saudi Arabia, that presented 13 demands before Qatar earlier, that would give a three-day notice to the Gulf countries to lift the “siege” imposed on Qatar….reports Asian Lite News

DOHA, June 6, 2017 (Xinhua) -- People walk past the Qatar Airways headquarters in Doha, capital of Qatar, on June 6, 2017. Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates and Yemen joined Saudi Arabia and Egypt in severing relations with gas-rich Qatar, with Riyadh accusing Doha of supporting groups, including some backed by Iran. (Xinhua/Nikku/IANS) by .
People walk past the Qatar Airways headquarters in Doha, Qatar (Xinhua/Nikku/IANS)

Qatar has threatened to withdraw from Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), by setting conditions for the Saudi-led bloc.

Qatari Minister of Foreign Affairs Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al Thani sent a letter to Secretary General of the GCC Abdul Latif Bin Rashid Al Zayani, setting his country’s conditions so as not to withdraw from the GCC, Xinhua reported citing MENA news agency.

Al Thani said Qatar is committed to international laws and conventions, especially with regard to fighting terrorism and its financing, adding that Qatar will not negotiate on its sovereignty.

He added that his country would give a three-day notice to the Gulf countries to lift the “siege” imposed on Qatar and compensate it for the political and economic losses. Following the deadline, Qatar will officially announce its withdrawal from the GCC, according to the letter.

CAIRO, July 5, 2017 (Xinhua) -- Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry (2nd R) meets with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir (1st L), United Arab Emirates (UAE) Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed (2nd L) and Bahraini Foreign Minister Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa (1st R) in Cairo, Egypt, on July 5, 2017. Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said on Wednesday that Qatar's response to the demands of Egypt and Gulf countries was "very negative." (Xinhua/STR/IANS) by .
Egyptian Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry (2nd R) meets with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir (1st L), United Arab Emirates (UAE) Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Abdullah Bin Zayed (2nd L) and Bahraini Foreign Minister Sheikh Khalid bin Ahmed Al Khalifa (1st R) in Cairo, Egypt (Xinhua/STR/IANS)

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates (UAE), Bahrain and Egypt issued a list of 13 demands to Qatar later last month, including closing Al-Jazeera TV station, stopping financing and supporting terrorism, and downgrading its ties with Iran, as major preconditions for ending their boycott.

The four countries vowed to take further political, economic and legal steps to tighten the screws on Doha after the latter refused to accept demands.

They are scheduled to hold another foreign ministers’ meeting, after the one held in Cairo, Egypt on July 5, in Bahrain soon to discuss the next steps.

In response, Qatar has dismissed as “baseless” the Saudi-led bloc’s accusations that it supports terrorism and interferes in their internal affairs.

There has been speculation that Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain would try to expel Qatar from the six-nation Gulf Cooperation Council, or even jeopardise Qatar’s membership in the Arab League.