The popularity of the prime minister besides the flocking of UKIP and Brexit friendly Labour cadres creating a favourable situation for the first Conservative in the constituency….writes Kaliph Anaz
Cambridge-educated Resham Kotecha is one of the rising stars in British politics. She was born in London, to Gujarati parents who came to the UK to study from East Africa. Resham read Economics at Cambridge University before starting work – initially in financial services, then as an economic adviser, and most recently, as a strategy consultant advising both public and private sector organisations.
The popularity of the prime minister besides the flocking of UKIP and Brexit friendly Labour cadres creating a favourable situation for the first Conservative in the constituency. The presence of a sizeable number of British Asian votes will also favour Resham to overturn a Labour majority of just 4509. UKIP scored more than 7000 votes in the constituency in 2015.
Resham previously stood as a Parliamentary Candidate during the 2015 General Election in Dulwich and West Norwood. She is Deputy Chair of the Northwood Conservatives and Head of Engagement for Women2Win, an organisation co-founded by Prime Minister Theresa May, to encourage more Conservative women to enter Parliament.
Resham has spoken and written regularly in the media about the importance of getting more Asians, young people, and women involved in politics. Resham has served as a school Governor and has mentored teenagers. She is President of the under 35’s board of the Young Women’s India Association, the oldest Asian charity in UK, and was a finalist for the Asian Women of Achievement Awards.
Resham will be working hard over the next two weeks to overturn Geoffrey Robinson’s majority and win the Coventry North West seat for the Conservatives – the first time since its creation in 1974.
If Resham wins, it will be a Conservative seat for the first time ever….it would also make Resham Coventry North West’s first Indian MP, first female MP and its first MP under 30! She has following 6 Point Plan to serve the constituents at Coventry North West
1. Brexit – We need to make a success of Brexit and ensure Coventry NW thrives. I will fight for our manufacturing and automotive industries to be at the forefront of our Prime Minister’s negotiations and get the best deal for Coventry North West.
2. Green Belt – We need to challenge the local plan. I will listen to constituent’s views and campaign to get funding from the Regional Development Agency so we can build on all the brownfield sites first. Once greenbelt is gone, it is gone forever.
3. Coventry Culture Bid – Coventry deserves recognition and I will work closely with the council, the other Coventry MPs and the Mayor to promote our bid.
4. Jobs – I want everyone in Coventry North West to have a stable job. I will work to attract firms to Coventry and will host jobs fairs keep unemployment low.
5. Business Investment – It is important to me to ensure that Coventry North West benefits from business investment. I will use my platform as an MP to generate business investment attracting businesses to the area.
6. Crime – I want to support the local police force in investigating crime and will encourage residents in their local neighbourhood watch schemes. I want residents of Coventry North West to feel safe in their local neighbourhoods