December 23, 2020
1 min read

@POTUS account to begin from zero with Biden

While @POTUS currently has 33.2 million followers, @TheWhiteHouse has 26 million followers on Twitter….reports Asian Lite News

Twitter will make Joe Biden’s @POTUS account as well as @WhiteHouse account to start afresh with zero followers once he is sworn in as the next US president on January 20.

The microblogging platform is not transferring existing @POTUS and @WhiteHouse followers to the new administration, Rob Flaherty, Biden’s digital director, was quoted as saying in the media reports on Tuesday.

While @POTUS currently has 33.2 million followers, @TheWhiteHouse has 26 million followers on Twitter.

According to The Verge, this is a reversal from what Twitter did in 2017 when the Trump administration took over the accounts from the Obama administration.

“Back then, Twitter essentially duplicated the existing accounts, creating an archive of Obama-era tweets and followers and building a new set of accounts for the incoming administration that retained all of those followers without any of the tweets,” the report mentioned.

The Wall Street Journal reported that there was contention between the Biden team and Twitter over whether the followers would be transferred.

According to Twitter, the accounts for @VP, @FLOTUS, @PressSec, @Cabinet, and @LaCasaBlanca will also have their followers gone.

Twitter said it is “in ongoing discussions with the Biden transition team on a number of aspects related to White House account transfers.”

The company last month said all existing tweets on those accounts will be archived and it will transfer the accounts — reset to zero tweets — to Biden.

Donald Trump’s @POTUS account will be renamed @POTUS45 and “frozen as-is”.

Trump will be in control of @realDonaldTrump, although with less protections than before.

From January 20 next year, Trump will lose special privileges on Twitter and his tweets will be treated as any other user.

Also read:Biden gets first dose of Covid-19 vaccine

Previous Story

Mutations Detected In Russia Not Highly Infectious

Next Story

Sydney extends curbs for Christmas

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop