October 10, 2020
2 mins read

Second Presidential Debate Cancelled

The second presidential debate between US President Donald Trump and his Democratic rival Joe Biden which was scheduled to take place on October 15 in Miami, has been officially cancelled, it was announced.

In a statement on Friday night, the Commission on Presidential Debates (CPD) said: “It is now apparent there will be no debate on October 15, and the CPD will turn its attention to preparations for the final presidential debate scheduled for October 22.”

It added that the third presidential debate scheduled for October 22 is still slated to take place at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee, but subject to health security considerations and in accordance with Covid-19 guidelines, The Hill news website reported.

The announcement came as the Trump’s campaign has argued that the debate scheduled for next week should continue in person as originally planned.

Responding to the announcement, Trump campaign spokesperson Tim Murtaugh said in a statement to The Hill: “There is no medical reason to stop the October 15 debate in Miami from proceeding as scheduled, since the President will be healthy and ready to debate.

“There is also no reason there shouldn’t be the three total presidential debates as Joe Biden had originally agreed.

“It’s time for the biased commission to stop protecting Biden and preventing voters from hearing from the two candidates for President.”

The spokesman added that the President’s campaign would be open to debating Biden “without the Commission’s interference”.

Trump, Biden trade early jabs in first presidential debate.

A day before the cancellation, the CPD had announced that the second presidential debate would be held virtually following Trump’s Covid-19 diagnosis.

It planned for the two candidates to debate remotely as the moderator and voters would attend from Miami, as originally planned.

But shortly after the announcement, Trump told Fox News: “I’m not going to waste my time on a virtual debate. That is not what debating is all about. You sit behind a computer and do a debate, it’s ridiculous.”

As the debate stands cancelled, Biden will now a town hall hosted by ABC News on October 15 slated to take place Philadelphia, which will be moderated by the network’s chief anchor George Stephanopoulos.

Details of the town hall, including the time, will be released in coming days.

A similar event was hosted by ABC News also in Philadelphia last month for Trump, who took uncommitted voters’ questions about the Covid-19 pandemic, racial justice and healthcare.

Previous Story

DCvsRR: Capitals settle for 184/8 in 20 overs

Next Story

India warns against attempts to disrupt Non-Aligned Movement

Latest from -Top News

Protests across US against Trump

The largest event was at the National Mall in DC, where demonstrators numbered in the tens of thousands People across the US took to the streets on Saturday to oppose what left-leaning

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop