August 29, 2020
1 min read

Hancock warns of second UK lockdown

Matt Hancock Digital Covid-19 Press Conference 21/04 by .
Matt Hancock during a Digital Covid-19 Press Conference. (Picture by Andrew Parsons / No 10 Downing Street)
LONDON, July 24, 2019 (Xinhua) -- Britain's Health Secretary Matt Hancock arrives at 10 Downing Street, in London, Britain, on July 24, 2019. Britain's new Prime Minister Boris Johnson named the first of his new front bench ministers on Wednesday night. (Photo by Alberto Pezzali/Xinhua/IANS) by .
Britain\’s Health Secretary Matt Hancock arrives at 10 Downing Street, in London. (Photo by Alberto Pezzali/Xinhua/IANS)

UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock has warned that a second nationwide lockdown cannot be ruled out if there was a resurgence in the number of coronavirus cases, it was reported on Saturday.

In a statement to The Times newspaper, Hancock said the possibility of a second wave was “a very serious threat” and that other countries were already seeing a spike in cases, metro.co.uk reported.

But the UK is managing to keep the number of new cases “flat” through the test and trace system and local lockdowns, he told The Times.

“Cases go up again, and we have to use very extensive local lockdowns or take further national action.

London, Feb. 1 (Xinhua) -- A skateboarder is seen in front of the Bank of England in London, Britain, on Feb. 1, 2020. (Photo by Stephen Chung/Xinhua/IANS) by .
A skateboarder is seen in front of the Bank of England in London, Britain. (Photo by Stephen Chung/Xinhua/IANS)

“We don’t rule that out, but we don’t want to see it,” the Health Secretary added.

Hancock’s remarks came as local lockdown restrictions are to be eased in parts of Manchester, Lancashire and West Yorkshire, which will allow social gatherings from September 2 onwards.

The UK has so far reported a total of 333,798 coronavirus cases and 41,573 deaths.

Matt Hancock Digital Covid-19 Press Conference 21/04 by .
Previous Story

‘We don’t rule out a second lockdown in UK’

Next Story

UAE issues decree ending boycott of Israel

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop