October 31, 2021
1 min read

IOM deported 140 illegal Bangladeshi migrants from Libya

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) said that it has deported 140 illegal Bangladeshi migrants to their country of origin…reports Asian Lite News

The migrants, including nine with medical conditions, were assisted to return to Bangladesh from Benghazi last week, in the first Voluntary Humanitarian Return (VHR) flight from the city since the resumption of the IOM’s VHR program, Xinhua news agency quoted the UN migration agency as saying.

IOM deported 140 illegal Bangladeshi migrants from Libya

“Closely facilitated and supported by the Embassy of Bangladesh, the returning migrants underwent health checks and were provided with counselling services and protection screening, as well as personal protective equipment and Covid-19 tests before boarding,” the statement said.

Libya has been suffering insecurity and chaos since the fall of its leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, making the North African country a preferred point of departure for illegal migrants who want to cross the Mediterranean Sea to European shores.

ALSO READ: UNHCR: rescues 216 illegal migrants off Libyan coast

The VHR program, run by the IOM, arranges the return of illegal immigrants stranded in Libya to their homelands.

Since 2015, more than 53,000 migrants have been returned from Libya through the VHR programme, with support from the European Union and the Italian Migration Fund, according to the IOM.

Previous Story

Why Indian Approach and Signalling for COP26 Makes Sense

Next Story

India ready to produce 5 bn Covid-19 jabs by 2022

Latest from AFRICA NEWS

Mali embraces solar power for rural areas  

The border village of Karan and its 3,000 people used to go days without electricity. Now, enough power is available around the clock to run small video gaming centers and boost commercial

British exports shine in African infrastructure 

Established 18 years ago, Dints is a London-based project integrator that specialises in connecting buyers, suppliers, logistics providers, and funding partners  A significant partnership between UK Export Finance (UKEF) and British firm

Congo doubles salaries for beleaguered army  

M23 has seized eastern Congo’s two largest cities in a swift offensive that has left thousands dead, forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes, and piled pressure on President Felix Tshisekedi 
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Peace-Building Key in African Investment, Says AfDB Head

Mr Adesina was speaking in a video message to participants

South Africa lower house to continue sitting in Parliament precinct

NA sittings will continue with a limited number of its