November 29, 2021
1 min read

S. Africa condemns travel ban over Omicron

South Africa’s president has condemned travel bans enacted against his country and its neighbours over the new coronavirus variant Omicron…reports Asian Lite News

Cyril Ramaphosa said he was “deeply disappointed” by the action, which he described as unjustified, and called for the bans to be urgently lifted.

The UK, EU and US are among those who have imposed travel bans.

S. Africa condemns travel ban over Omicron

Omicron has been classed as a “variant of concern”. Early evidence suggests it has a higher re-infection risk.

The heavily mutated variant was detected in South Africa earlier this month and then reported to the World Health Organisation (WHO) last Wednesday, the report said.

The variant is responsible for most of the infections found in South Africa’s most populated province, Gauteng, over the last two weeks, and is now present in all other provinces in the country.

On Monday, Japan became the latest country to reinstate tough border restrictions, banning all foreigners from entering the country from 30 November, the report added.

The WHO has warned against countries hastily imposing travel curbs, saying they should look to a “risk-based and scientific approach”. However, numerous bans have been introduced in recent days amid concerns over the variant.

WHO’s Africa director Matshidiso Moeti said on Sunday: “With the Omicron variant now detected in several regions of the world, putting in place travel bans that target Africa attacks global solidarity.”

In his speech, Ramaphosa said there was no scientific basis for the travel bans and that southern Africa was the victim of unfair discrimination, the report added.

ALSO READ: S. African President warns about fourth wave as Omicron spreads

He also argued that the bans would not be effective in preventing the spread of the variant.

“The only thing the prohibition on travel will do is to further damage the economies of the affected countries and undermine their ability to respond to, and recover from, the pandemic,” he said.

Previous Story

Reliance mulls bid for controlling stake in British Telecom

Next Story

UK, Israel vow to stop Iran’s N-ambitions

Latest from AFRICA NEWS

Mali embraces solar power for rural areas  

The border village of Karan and its 3,000 people used to go days without electricity. Now, enough power is available around the clock to run small video gaming centers and boost commercial

British exports shine in African infrastructure 

Established 18 years ago, Dints is a London-based project integrator that specialises in connecting buyers, suppliers, logistics providers, and funding partners  A significant partnership between UK Export Finance (UKEF) and British firm

Congo doubles salaries for beleaguered army  

M23 has seized eastern Congo’s two largest cities in a swift offensive that has left thousands dead, forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes, and piled pressure on President Felix Tshisekedi 
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Ethiopian PM to lead frontline combat against rebel forces

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed announced his decision to lead

DP World broadens logistics reach in Africa

This will enhance DP World’s capabilities, particularly in Africa, building