November 14, 2021
1 min read

Over 3,000 inmates yet to be recaptured after Nigeria jailbreaks

The Nigerian government said that over 3,000 inmates are yet to be recaptured following recent jailbreaks in the most populous African country…reports Asian Lite News

A total of 4,860 inmates had escaped during attacks on the country’s custodial centres since last year, and only 984 of them have been rearrested so far, with 3,876 inmates still at large, Minister of Interior Rauf Aregbesola told reporters here.

Nigeria govt: 3,000 inmates yet to be recaptured following recent jailbreaks

To aid the active tracking of the fleeing inmates, the Minister said the government had taken the biometrics of all inmates in the country, hoping this will be useful for their recapture, reports Xinhua news agency.

In recent months, there have been a series of gunmen attacks across Nigeria, including attacks on security facilities like police stations and custodial centres.

ALSO READ: 163 illegal migrants deported to Nigeria from Libya

On October 22, 837 inmates awaiting trial escaped from the Medium Security Custodial Center in the Abolongo area of the southwestern state of Oyo following an attack on the centre, according to a statement by the Nigerian Correctional Service.

Aregbesola said that Nigeria currently has a total of 69,680 inmates, with 50,223 still awaiting trials.

Previous Story

UN official urges reform measures amid crisis in Lebanon

Next Story

Varun Gandhi leaves BJP?

Latest from AFRICA NEWS

Mali embraces solar power for rural areas  

The border village of Karan and its 3,000 people used to go days without electricity. Now, enough power is available around the clock to run small video gaming centers and boost commercial

British exports shine in African infrastructure 

Established 18 years ago, Dints is a London-based project integrator that specialises in connecting buyers, suppliers, logistics providers, and funding partners  A significant partnership between UK Export Finance (UKEF) and British firm

Congo doubles salaries for beleaguered army  

M23 has seized eastern Congo’s two largest cities in a swift offensive that has left thousands dead, forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes, and piled pressure on President Felix Tshisekedi 
Go toTop

Don't Miss

World Condemns Hospital Attack In Gaza

The WHO on Tuesday night also issued a statement on

World leaders rap attack on UAE targets

Statements of support have been pouring in for the UAE,