‘A Day of Shame for Pakistan’


Sri Lanka PM Mahinda Rajapaksa demanded justice for Priyantha Kumara, who had been working as a manager in Sialkot, was tortured to death and his body was set on fire by a mob over allegations of “blasphemy” on December 3. …reports Asian Lite News

 Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa on Saturday urged Pakistan government to ensure safety of others Lankans working in Pakistan following the brutal murder of a Sri Lankan employee at a factory in Sialkot on Friday.

Posting a Twitter message, President Rajapaksa said: “Deeply concerned by the incident in Sialkot #Pakistan. #SriLanka trusts that PM @ImranKhan and the Gvt. of Pakistan will ensure justice is served and ensure the safety of the remaining Sri Lankan workers in Pakistan.”

Following the murder of factory manager Priyantha Kumara, Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan said the horrific attack and burning alive of a Sri Lankan is a day of shame for Pakistan.

Khan also said investigations are underway to arrest the culprits and those responsible would be punished.

Over 100 who were allegedly involved in the attack have been arrested.

Meanwhile Sri Lanka High Commissioner in Pakistan Vice Admiral Mohan Wijewickrama has said that the Pakistan’s foreign ministry has given an undertaking on the safety of the remaining Sri Lankan employees in Pakistan. The Lankan envoy has said that the arrangements have been made to bring down the remains of the SL Factory Manager from Lahore to Colombo.

Meanwhile, Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa in a message demanded justice for the murder of Lankan worker.

“Shocking to see the brutal and fatal attack on Priyantha Diyawadana by extremist mobs in #Pakistan. My heart goes out to his wife and family. #SriLanka and her people are confident that PM @ImranKhanPTI will keep to his commitment to bring all those involved to justice,” Rajapaksa said in a Twitter message.

Priyantha Kumara, who had been working as a manager at a private factory on Wazirabad Road in Sialkot, was tortured to death and his body was set on fire by a mob over allegations of “blasphemy” on December 3.

Sources privy to the investigation said the Punjab government has presented an initial report to the Prime Minister.

As per the preliminary report turned in by the provincial government, a dispute had emerged when Priyantha Kumara removed some posters from the walls of the factory at 10:28am. The posters were reportedly inscribed with the name of the Holy Prophet, The News reported.

Shortly after, the factory owner reached the spot and resolved the issue. Kumara had apologised for the misunderstanding on his part, the report said.

After Kumara made the apology, the matter was reportedly considered settled and the factory workers had dispersed.

However, some workers then incited their colleagues to attack the manager, the report added.

Within a few minutes, a mob formed and set on the victim within the premises of the industrial unit, eventually killing him.

A total of 13 security guards were present in the factory as the brutal attack was occurring. None of them tried to rescue the victim or disperse the mob, said the report.

Kumara’s body was later dragged outside the factory and burned.

Police received a phone call at 11:28am about the incident, officials said. A police party reached the site within 12 minutes, they added.

ALSO READ: Colombo Seeks Probe on lynching of Lankan in Pakistan

ALSO READ: Is Beijing turning its back on Pakistan?

[mc4wp_form id=""]