July 1, 2021
1 min read

Afghan forces retake 3 districts, but lose 2

Fierce clashes erupted since the May 1 announcement of the withdrawal of the US-led forces from Afghanistan….reports Asian Lite News

Afghan forces have retaken three districts from the Taliban amid continued fighting between the two sides, but lost two others to the militant group, the Defence Ministry said.

Kaldar district in Balkh province and the Pashtun Kut and Khan Chahar Bagh districts in Faryab province were recaptured by the forces, but Kandahar’s Khakriz district and Logar’s Baraki Barak district fell to the Taliban in the last 24 hours, TOLO News quoted the Ministry as saying late Tuesday.

Fierce clashes erupted since the May 1 announcement of the withdrawal of the US-led forces from Afghanistan.

The militants have so far captured more than 70 districts since then.

Afghan security force members take part in a military operation in Chahar Dara district of Kunduz province, Afghanistan, Jan. 16, 2018. The Kunduz province, as well as neighboring Baghlan and Takhar provinces, have been the hotbeds of heavy clashes over the past couple of months as Taliban has been trying to attack the government forces in the once relatively peaceful region. (Xinhua/Ajmal Kakar/IANS)

Fighting has continued in the provinces of Ghazni, Kunduz, Baghlan, Takhar, Faryab, and Maidan Wardak.

Also on Tuesday, Ajmal Omar Shinwari, a spokesman for the Afghan forces, claimed that over 6,000 Taliban fighters, including Pakistani nationals, have been killed so far in the clashes, TOLO News reported.

He added that another 3,400 Taliban fighters were also wounded during this period.

The Taliban, however, has rejected the figures.

ALSO READ: TTP terrorists from Afghanistan posing threat: Pakistan

Previous Story

Provinces hit by blackout after power pylon destroyed

Next Story

MEPs demand action against China over HK

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Attack foiled in Kabul

An early message to media from a government source said

UN reaches out to flood-hit Pakistan, Afghanistan

In Afghanistan, heavy rains and flash floods over the past