March 9, 2021
1 min read

Aus PM to set up apprenticeship funding

It is an expansion of an apprenticeship wage subsidy scheme for 100,000 apprentices introduced in October 2020 to stem widespread job losses…reports Asian Lite News

The Australian government will fund apprenticeships for young workers in an attempt to stop them from becoming unemployed, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced on Tuesday.

He said that the government would spend at least A$1.2 billion ($917 million) over the next year subsidizing part of the wages for 70,000 new apprentices.

It is an expansion of an apprenticeship wage subsidy scheme for 100,000 apprentices introduced in October 2020 to stem widespread job losses among young Australians during the coronavirus-triggered economic crisis.

According to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), the number of employed Australians in their 20s was down 2.5 per cent in February 2021 compared to February 2020.

“Creating jobs, generating economic opportunities and boosting the skills of workers right across Australia are at the heart of our National Economic Recovery Plan, as we build back from the Covid-19 recession,” said Morrison.

“Last week’s National Accounts showed the comeback of the Australian economy is underway, however many businesses still need support and it’s important our apprentices and trainees get opportunities to boost their skills and stay employed.”

Powerful business groups have previously called on the federal government to increase incentives for employing young Australians.

“Ignoring the temporary programs responding to the pandemic, the financial incentives for employers have changed little for the past 20 years,” the Australian Industry Group said in a submission for the upcoming federal budget.

Also read:Australia extends border closure

Previous Story

Yoga brings Smith closer to herself

Next Story

EU lays out vision for gender equity

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop