October 27, 2021
1 min read

China Telecom’s US licence revoked over ‘national security’

China Telecom must stop providing services in America within 60 days….reports Asian Lite News

Washington has revoked the US licence of one of China’s biggest telecoms companies citing “national security” concerns, BBC reported.

China Telecom must stop providing services in America within 60 days.

Officials said the Chinese government’s control of the company gave it the opportunity “to access, store, disrupt, and/or misroute US communications”, the report said.

This in turn could allow it “to engage in espionage and other harmful activities against the US”, they said.

China Telecom, which has provided telecoms services in the US for nearly 20 years, called the decision “disappointing”.

“We plan to pursue all available options while continuing to serve our customers,” a statement said.

China Telecom is one of three companies that dominate China’s telecoms market. The firm has hundreds of millions of customers in 110 countries, with services ranging from broadband internet to mobile and landline telephone networks.

The Federal Communication Commission (FCC) warned it might shut down China Telecom Americas in April 2020, claiming the firm “is subject to exploitation, influence, and control by the Chinese government”.

It said the company was “highly likely to be forced to comply with Chinese government requests without… independent judicial oversight”, the report said.

It is the latest Chinese telecoms firm to be targeted by US officials over national security concerns.

Last year, the FCC designated Huawei and ZTE as threats to communications networks — making it harder for US firms to buy equipment from them.

The FCC revoked China Mobile’s US licence in 2019, and is in process of doing so for two other state-backed firms — China Unicom Americas and Pacific Networks.

ALSO READ: BBIN Initiative Key to Counter China’s BRI

Previous Story

Senators urge Biden to exempt India from curbs

Next Story

Mexico to deal prudently with new migrant flow

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

US completes withdrawal from final base in Niger

Niger’s Air-Info news site confirmed the departure of the last

US Tibet envoy to meet Dalai Lama

According to the advocacy group, Zeya will be visiting Dharamsala