February 5, 2021
1 min read

Italy’s Conte likely to back successor

“To those who say I am an obstacle to the formation of a new government, I say that clearly they don’t know me,” said Conte…reports Asian Lite News

Outgoing Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has signalled his support for a government led by Prime Minister-designate Mario Draghi.

In a brief statement to the media on Thursday, the outgoing leader, who resigned on January 26, said that he met with Draghi a day earlier in what he described as “a very long and very open talk”, reports Xinhua news agency

“To those who say I am an obstacle to the formation of a new government, I say that clearly they don’t know me,” Conte said.

“I have always worked and will continue to work so that a new government may be formed that can tackle the ongoing health, economic and social emergencies,” he said in reference to the coronavirus pandemic.

Conte went on to call for “a political government,” meaning one with a solid backing in Parliament.

His statement is of significance because the Five Star Movement (M5S), which is one of the largest forces in parliament, is split over whether or not to support Draghi.

Draghi has started consultations with Italy’s political parties after President Sergio Mattarella on Wednesday handed him a mandate to form a new government to steer the country through the pandemic.

Also read:Trump won’t testify at Senate impeachment trial

Previous Story

‘I think I am more settled’

Next Story

PDM set for long march on March 26

Latest from -Top News

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil

ATM 2025 set for record turnout

Registrations have surged by an impressive 104% compared to the same period last year, underscoring ATM’s growing influence in the international travel trade landscape. With just three weeks to go until the

UAE team aids Myanmar relief efforts

The search and rescue operation will take place across six locations in Myanmar, with teams working in rotating morning and evening shifts to expedite response efforts and reach as many affected areas

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has
Go toTop