August 2, 2021
1 min read

Kim’s sister warns against S Korea-US military drill

The warning comes amid a surprise thaw on the Korean peninsula, prompted by a series of personal letters between Mr. Kim and South Korean President Moon Jae-in….reports Asian Lite News

The influential sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said on Sunday that a planned military exercise between Seoul and Washington would “becloud” relations, state-run media reported.

The warning comes amid a surprise thaw on the Korean peninsula, prompted by a series of personal letters between Mr. Kim and South Korean President Moon Jae-in.

The two sides on Tuesday restored communications that were severed more than a year ago, announcing their leaders had agreed to work on improving ties.

But Kim Yo-jong — a key adviser to her brother the North Korean leader — warned the mood could shift if the South holds joint military drills with the United States later this month.

Pyongyang, Aug. 27 (Xinhua) — File photo handed out by the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on Dec. 30, 2019 shows Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers’ Party of Korea (WPK), addressing the 5th Plenary Meeting of the 7th Central Committee of the WPK in Pyongyang, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK). (KCNA/Handout via Xinhua/IANS)

“I view this as an undesirable prelude which seriously undermines the will of the top leaders,” Kim Yo Jong said, adding the drill “further beclouds the way ahead of the north-south relations”.

Seoul and Washington are treaty allies, with the US stationing around 28,500 troops in the South to defend it against its nuclear-armed neighbour.

They have previously scaled back their annual joint military exercises significantly to facilitate nuclear talks with Pyongyang, which condemns such drills as preparations for an invasion.

The dovish Moon is credited with brokering the first-ever summit between North Korea and a sitting US president, in Singapore in June 2018.

But Pyongyang largely cut off contact with Seoul following the collapse of a second summit between Kim and then US president Donald Trump in Hanoi that left nuclear talks at a standstill.

ALSO READ: US govt blames Iran for tanker attack, prepares for response

Previous Story

Fauci says US won’t have more lockdowns

Next Story

Pashtuns organise rally against Pakistan in New York

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Bajwa gives up on Imran

The ambitious army generals are known to uphold the military

Pentagon Calls North Korea’s Missile Launches ‘Irresponsible’

Pentagon Press Secretary Maj. Gen. Pat Ryder made the remarks