April 2, 2021
1 min read

Myanmar junta cuts Internet service

NetBlocks, an advocacy group that tracks internet disruptions and shutdowns, has also confirmed the restrictions..reports Asian Lite News

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBTLWJ-f138

Myanmar’s military regime has shut down broadband Internet service as protests over the coup continue in the country, according to a report from The Washington Post.

NetBlocks, an advocacy group that tracks internet disruptions and shutdowns, has also confirmed the restrictions, The Verge reported.

“Confirmed: Internet has been cut in #Myanmar from 1 am Thursday local time, the 46th consecutive night of military-imposed shutdowns,” NetBlocks said in a tweet.

The move comes two months after the military seized control of the South Asian nation following escalated tensions between the government and the army that erupted after civilian leader Aung San Suu Kyi’s National League for Democracy party won a clear majority in the November 2020 elections.

“Fixed wireless will not be turned on in morning. Confirmed. No Ananda/MMNet/Ooreddoo/etc. With mobile data already off, only fixed-line will remain. Order is temporary but open-ended. Everyone should be making whatever plans are possible,” Free Expression Myanmar, a campaign by a group of human rights defenders said in a tweet on Thursday.

Also read:Myanmar crackdown: Death toll tops 500

Suu Kyi was arrested following the coup and has since then been imprisoned.

The military has violently cracked down on the ensuing protests.

According to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners (AAPP), a non-profit, at least 543 people have been killed by military forces since the coup.

The victims include more than 40 children, according to the NGO Save the Children.

Peaceful protests continue in cities throughout the country including in the regions of Mandalay, Magway, Bago and Sagaing and Kayah state.

Also read:US warns against travel to Myanmar

Previous Story

‘Thalaivi’ director hails Kangana’s efforts

Next Story

Pope leads Good Friday ceremony under Covid curbs

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

India Urges Immediate Evacuation from Myanmar’s Rakhine State

The MEA spokesperson said that there is a lot of

India must initiate smart moves to address Myanmar

The South-East Asia expert says that the Tatmadaw of the