May 29, 2021
1 min read

US hands over key Kabul base to Afghan forces

Pentagon officials have said that the US has completed up to 25 per cent of the entire withdrawal process, reports Asian Lite News

A key military US base called the New Kabul Compound (NKC) has been handed over to the Afghan forces, the Ministry of Defence announced.

Fawad Aman, a spokesman for the Ministry, said that at a ceremony on the occasion on Friday, US and NATO forces commander Gen. Scott Miller emphasised the international community’s continued support to Afghan forces, reports TOLO News.

The withdrawal of the US and NATO forces from the country started on May 1.

US

According to figures provided by US Central Command, the Pentagon has so far removed the equivalent of approximately 160 C-17 loads of material out of Afghanistan and has turned over more than 10,000 pieces of equipment to the Defense Logistics Agency for disposition.

The figures also show that the US had by last week officially handed over five facilities to the Ministry of Defence.

Pentagon officials have said that the US has completed up to 25 per cent of the entire withdrawal process.

Violence however, remains high in the country, especially after the three-day ceasefire from May 13-15.

The Ministry of Defence on Saturday said that at least 210 Taliban were killed in clashes and defensive operations by Afghan forces in 18 provinces, including Kabul, in the last 24 hours.

ALSO READ – A window of opportunity for India in Afghanistan

ALSO READ – Taliban warns neighbouring nations against allowing bases to US

Previous Story

India monitoring PLA activities on border: Army Chief

Next Story

SPECIAL: Matt Hancock Must Go

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

India on Deportation Issue: Treat People with Dignity

Emphasising that people should be treated fairly and with dignity,

US nudges Germany on long-range missiles for Ukraine

Johann Wadephul, CDU deputy chairman in the German parliament responsible