US takes responsibility for 23 civilian deaths in 2020

According to a Pentagon report, the number included civilian casualties in operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Yemen and Nigeria….reports Asian Lite News

The United States military took responsibility for the death of 23 civilians in foreign war zones last year, media reported.

According to a Pentagon report, the number included civilian casualties in operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia, Yemen and Nigeria.

The Department of Defense (DoD) “assesses that there were approximately 23 civilians killed and approximately 10 civilians injured during 2020 as a result of US military operations,” reports quoted an annual report required by Congress since 2018.

Most of the civilian casualties were in Afghanistan, where the Pentagon said it was responsible for 20 deaths, according to the public section of the report.

Meanwhile, as Washington speed-up to complete the withdrawal of its troops ahead of September 11, the US military will be handing over its main Bagram Air Base to Afghan forces in about 20 days, an official said.

“I can confirm we will hand over Bagram Air Base,” a US defense official told France-based news agency without specifying when the transfer would take place, reported Afghanistan Times.

a piece of broken glass of a vehicle at the site of a bomb attack in Kabul, Afghanistan. (Photo by Rahmatullah Alizadah/Xinhua)

An Afghan security official said the handover was expected in about 20 days and the defense ministry had set up special committees to manage it.

The base, the centre for nationwide command and air operations for the past two decades, also houses a prison that held thousands of Taliban and terrorists over the years, reported Afghanistan Times.

The vast base, built by the Soviets in the 1980s, is the biggest military facility used by US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, with tens of thousands of troops stationed there during the peak of America’s military involvement in the violence-wracked country.

Meanwhile, Washington has already handed over several military bases to Afghan forces before May 1, when it began accelerating the final withdrawal of troops, reported Afghanistan Times.

Last month it completed the withdrawal from Kandahar Airfield in southern Afghanistan, once the second-largest foreign military base in the country.

The US withdrawal comes despite bloody clashes across the country between the Taliban and Afghan forces.

Peace talks were launched in September in Qatar, but so far have failed to strike any deal to end a war that has killed tens of thousands of people over nearly two decades. (with inputs from ANI)

ALSO READ: Biden recognises LGBTQ Pride Month