August 12, 2021
2 mins read

‘Booster jab will better protect against future variants’

UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid had said the government is awaiting advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) on the roll out of the booster dose…reports Asian Lite News.

Even as the UK government is planning to give a third Covid vaccine shot to everyone above 50 years of age from next month, scientists confirm that the autumn booster dose will be an effective way to protect people from existing, and potentially future, variants of concern.

The team of experts at the University of Nottingham found that neutralising antibodies generated by a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine were less effective at neutralising key variants of concern, for example the beta (first identified in South Africa) variant.

However, the second dose, especially in those volunteers who had previously been infected with SARS-CoV-2, dramatically increased virus variant neutralising antibody responses (and therefore potential protection) to a level comparable to those seen for the original strain of SARS-CoV-2.

This suggests that an additional boost, even using vaccines containing the original strain of coronavirus, will increase protection against variants of concern, revealed the findings published in the journal Science Translational Medicine.

“We showed that the individuals with past infection produced more antibodies following each dose of vaccine than those who hadn’t been exposed. We also showed that this increased antibody response was more effective against some of the variants of concern, such as the Beta and Gamma variants,” said Professor Jonathan Ball from the School of Life Sciences at the University.

“In essence, natural infection has mimicked the effects of an additional vaccine dose, and our data clearly shows that this additional antigenic exposure produces an extra boost to the overall virus-killing antibody response that is more effective against variants of concern. Our results support the UK Government’s plan to provide a booster jab in the autumn as an effective strategy in protecting people against these variants,” he added.

UK Health Secretary Sajid Javid had said the government is awaiting advice from the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) on the roll out of the booster dose, which will be administered along with flu a jab, the Evening Standard reported on Wednesday.

The booster dose will be prioritised for people who received the Covid shots when the vaccination programmes were first rolled out last December, Javid said.

Meanwhile, the UK government on Tuesday also announced that 75 per cent of adults in the country have received both doses of a Covid-19 jab, while about 47 million people have received their first dose, the Financial Times reported. However, nearly 6 million adults — roughly one in 10 of the over-18 population — remain completely unvaccinated, official statistics showed.

ALSO READ-More than 75% of UK adults now fully vaccinated

READ MORE-Travel recovery has started: Heathrow Airport

Previous Story

‘Nearly half of Middle East returnees bear brunt of job losses’

Next Story

Self-isolation removed for vaccinated close contacts from Aug 16 in UK

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

UK and India to develop next-gen weapons 

An agreement has been signed to enhance defence partnership and

Sunak goes live on LinkedIn to push growth plans

The government also referenced plans for new trade deals, including