November 16, 2021
2 mins read

PM talks tough after Liverpool blast

“The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre are now increasing the UK’s threat level from substantial to severe,” Patel told local media…reports Asian Lite News.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said that the UK will never give in to those who seek to divide the country as on Sunday the deadly blast took place in a taxi outside a hospital in Liverpool. The British officials are treating the blast as a terror incident. The incident is a stark reminder of the need for all of us to remain utterly vigilant, Johnson said during a press conference here on Monday.

The Prime Minister also said that the Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre has raised UK’s threat level from substantial to severe, meaning an attack is highly likely. Expressing his gratitude to the emergency services for reacting to the Liverpool incident, Johnson said: “On behalf of the whole country, I want to pay tribute to the emergency services, who responded as always with such speed and professionalism.”

Earlier on Sunday, authorities arrested three people in connection with the car explosion in Liverpool. A car had exploded near the Women’s Hospital in Liverpool, leaving one man dead and another one injured on Sunday.

Terror threat level raised to ‘severe’

The UK’s terror threat level has been upgraded from “substantial” to “severe” following an explosion outside a Liverpool hospital that had been declared a terrorist incident.

Monday’s upgrade, confirmed by Home Secretary Priti Patel, means further attacks are judged to be “highly likely”.

“The Joint Terrorism Analysis Centre are now increasing the UK’s threat level from substantial to severe,” Patel told local media.

“And there’s a reason for that, and that reason is because what we saw yesterday is the second incident in a month.”

The “severe” level is the second highest alert in the UK, whose five-level terrorism threat alert system consists of “low, moderate, substantial, severe and critical”.

Sunday’s explosion outside Liverpool Women’s Hospital was caused by “the ignition of an explosive device” that was brought into the vehicle by a male passenger, said Russ Jackson, chief of counter-terrorism unit in northwest England.

The male passenger died in the explosion and the taxi driver managed to escape.

The police believe they know the identity of the passenger, but were yet to confirm.

The motivation for the incident remains unclear.

Four men in their 20s have been arrested under the Terrorism Act.

The injured cab driver, who locked the passenger in the car during the incident, has been hailed a hero.

“The taxi driver, in his heroic efforts, has managed to divert what could have been an absolutely awful disaster at the hospital,” said Liverpool Mayor Joanne Anderson.

ALSO READ-7 hurt as blast hits police vehicle in Quetta

Previous Story

Britain mulls granting ICT visa-holders the option of settling

Next Story

Britain extends Covid-19 booster jab to people over 40

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Boris to face no confidence vote today

Hours earlier, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps had said he did

Biden is the most searched politician online

Former German Chancellor Angela Merkel ranked fourth with 1.4 million