September 28, 2021
2 mins read

UK urged to remove S Africa from travel red list

Maynier said this is “a significant barrier to economic recovery, specifically for the tourism sector in the Western Cape”…reports Asian Lite News.

A South African official said that he has written to the British Foreign Secretary to remove the country from the UK’s “red list” of travel for tourism recovery.

In a statement on Monday, David Maynier, Western Cape Province’s Minister of Finance and Economic Opportunities, said he wrote the letter on World Tourism Day about the matter, which is “deeply disappointing” and seems “manifestly unfair”, reports Xinhua news agency.

Only a British or Irish national, or a person who has residence rights in the UK are allowed to enter Britain if he or she has been in a country or territory on the red list in the last 10 days.

Maynier said this is “a significant barrier to economic recovery, specifically for the tourism sector in the Western Cape”.

Tourism and hospitality sector in Western Cape, a popular tourism destination in South Africa, has been hard-hit in 2020 due to Covid-19, with an estimated loss of over 75,000 jobs, official figures showed.

According to research conducted by the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), the South African economy could face massive losses of more than $12 million every week if it’s on the UK’s “red list”.

On September 23, Alderman James Vos, Mayoral Committee Member for Economic Opportunities and Asset Management of Cape Town, said he has been in constant communication with UK officials about the “red list” and will raise the matter with the UK’s high commissioner.

According to Vos, Cape Town has long been a favourite destination for British travellers.

In 2019, readers of Britain’s Telegraph newspaper voted Cape Town their favourite city in the world for a seventh consecutive year, he said, adding that earlier this month, Travel + Leisure magazine’s global audience rated Cape Town the best city in Africa and the Middle East and the 25th best in the world for travel.

On Monday, South Africa reported 578 new Covid-19 cases, bringing down the average number of new cases over the seven preceding days to 1,912.

The country, which has the highest national tally of Covid-19 in Africa, has reported 2,897,521 confirmed Covid cases in total, with 87,216 deaths.

ALSO READ-AUKUS Casting A Shadow Over QUAD?

READ MORE-FM Qureshi faces protests during UK visit  

Previous Story

‘Afghan war a strategic failure’

Next Story

UK angers France by granting only 12 licenses to EU fishing boats

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Dubai Municipality wins RoSPA Award

Dubai Municipality won the RoSPA Inspiration Award for the Mini-Crisis

Jerusalem churches raise concern over UK embassy talks

Jerusalem church heads warned moving the British embassy “would severely