October 27, 2021
1 min read

Mexico to deal prudently with new migrant flow

The migrant caravan, comprising 2,000 to 3,000 people, is continuing its advance through the southern Mexican state of Chiapas towards Mexico City…reports Asian Lite News

Mexico will deal prudently with the latest migrant caravan with thousands of Central American migrants advancing toward the country’s capital and even the US, Foreign Affairs Minister Marcelo Ebrard said.

“We will act with prudence and respect for human rights …” Ebrard said at a press conference, adding that the Mexican authorities will be careful to avoid any conflict, as there are many children in the caravan, reports Xinhua news agency.

He also reiterated Mexico’s call for a “fundamental solution” to mass migration driven by poverty and violence, and highlighted agreements reached with the United States to address the issues including investment in southern Mexico and Central American countries.

The migrant caravan, comprising 2,000 to 3,000 people, is continuing its advance through the southern Mexican state of Chiapas towards Mexico City, looking forward to regularising their immigration status.

The caravan has travelled more than 25 km so far, with the National Institute of Migration (INM) and Mexican National Guard members accompanying it following a slight confrontation on Saturday that failed to prevent the migrants’ advance.

The two state agencies contained and broke up some other caravans between August and September.

The operations sought to protect the migrants’ rights and prevent them from being exposed to greater dangers, such as kidnappings by criminal gangs, said President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.

Between January and August of this year, the Mexican authorities registered 147,000 undocumented migrants, according to INM figures.

ALSO READ: Senators urge Biden to exempt India from curbs

Previous Story

China Telecom’s US licence revoked over ‘national security’

Next Story

Top officials, lawmakers celebrate Diwali at Capitol Hill

Latest from USA

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Court quashes convictions for wrongly imprisoned asylum seekers

It is thought that as many as 67 people could

Mexico severs diplomatic ties with Ecuador

Ecuadorian police late Friday broke through the external doors of