July 19, 2022
1 min read

‘193 migrants returned to Libya past week’

A total of 10,465 migrants have been rescued and returned to Libya so far in 2022, including 694 women and 400 minors, the UN agency said….reports Asian Lite News

The International Organisation for Migration (IOM) has said that 193 migrants were returned to Libya after being rescued off the coast last week.

“In the period of July 10-16, 2022, 193 migrants have been disembarked back on Libyan shores,” IOM added on Monday in a statement.

A total of 10,465 migrants have been rescued and returned to Libya so far in 2022, including 694 women and 400 minors, the UN agency said.

The UN agency also added that 176 migrants died and 634 others went missing on the Central Mediterranean route in 2022, Xinhua news agency reported.

In 2021, a total of 32,425 migrants were rescued and returned to Libya, while 662 died and 891 others went missing off the Libyan coast on the Central Mediterranean route, according to IOM.

Libya has been suffering insecurity and chaos since the fall of the late leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, making the North African country a preferred point of departure for irregular migrants who want to cross the Mediterranean Sea to European shores.

ALSO READ: Libyan Army mulls unification of military institutions

Previous Story

Libyan Army mulls unification of military institutions

Next Story

Iran, Russia cement ties, vow more cooperation

Latest from AFRICA NEWS

Mali embraces solar power for rural areas  

The border village of Karan and its 3,000 people used to go days without electricity. Now, enough power is available around the clock to run small video gaming centers and boost commercial

British exports shine in African infrastructure 

Established 18 years ago, Dints is a London-based project integrator that specialises in connecting buyers, suppliers, logistics providers, and funding partners  A significant partnership between UK Export Finance (UKEF) and British firm

Congo doubles salaries for beleaguered army  

M23 has seized eastern Congo’s two largest cities in a swift offensive that has left thousands dead, forced hundreds of thousands to flee their homes, and piled pressure on President Felix Tshisekedi 
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Antonio announces appoints new special adviser on Libya

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has announced the appointment of Stephanie

Terrorists must not be allowed to operate in Libya, says foreign secy

“The international community must speak in one voice terrorism in