January 9, 2022
1 min read

Iran blacklists 51 more US individuals over Soleimani’s assassination

Iran’s Foreign Ministry has blacklisted 51 more US individuals for their “roles” in the assassination of former military commander Qasem Soleimani…reports Asian Lite News

In a statement on Saturday, the Ministry said the new list of sanctioned American individuals, including Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley and former National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien, was in line with implementing Iran’s law on “combating human rights violations and the adventurous and terrorist acts of the US in the region”, reports Xinhua news agency.

“The designated persons, as the case may be, have taken part in decision-making, organising, financing, and carrying out the terrorist act or have otherwise justified terrorism which is a threat to the international peace and security through supporting such egregious terrorist attack,” it said.

ALSO READ: Iran’s top negotiator: Nuclear talks in Vienna onward, positive

Former US President Donald Trump and former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, among others, were previously listed to be sanctioned for the same reason, according to the statement.

A US drone strike on a convoy killed Soleimani, former commander of the Quds Force of Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps, along with an Iraqi militia commander near Baghdad International Airport on January 3, 2020.

In a public address here on January 3 to mark Soleimani’s second death anniversary, President Ebrahim Raisi said that Trump and Pompeo must be “prosecuted for their criminal activity” through a fair mechanism, warning Iran’s revenge in case those involved in and behind the “criminal act” are not punished.

Previous Story

On your mark, get set, poll

Next Story

Xi’s U-turn on cultural nationalism

Latest from Arab News

GCC condemns Israeli airstrikes in Syria

GCC SG Jasem Mohamed Albudaiwi affirmed that these airstrikes represent a continuation of efforts by the Israeli occupation forces to undermine and destabilise regional and international security Secretary General of the Gulf

Trump due in Saudi, UAE amid new tariffs

The GCC bloc, which includes the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, and Bahrain, has been hit with a 10% tariff, placing them among the lower-tiered rates US President Donald Trump has

Pakistan Day celebrated in Oman

On the occasion of Pakistan Day on March 23, a grand ceremony was held at the Embassy of Pakistan in Muscat, Oman.  The ceremony began with the recitation of the Holy Quran

Cleveland Clinic, G42 revolutionise healthcare with AI

The collaboration aims to enhance patient care, drive medical innovation, and optimise healthcare operations through AI-powered solutions In a groundbreaking partnership, Cleveland Clinic and Abu Dhabi-based artificial intelligence (AI) leader G42 have

UAE, Egypt Renew Ties

The two leaders exchanged greetings and best wishes for the remainder of the holy month of Ramadan and engaged in cordial conversation reflecting the strength of the close ties between their two
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Israel Defence Minister embarks on ‘historic’ trip to Morocco

Israeli Defence Minister Benny Gantz has embarked on “an important

Afghanistan to import 100 MW of electricity from Iran

Afghanistan will import up to 100 megawatts of electricity from