July 8, 2022
2 mins read

Ex-US cop gets 21 years for violating George Floyd’s civil rights

The sentence will run concurrently with Chauvin’s state sentence of 22.5 years after he was convicted for second and third-degree murder, as well as second-degree manslaughter…reports Asian Lite News

Derek Chauvin, a former police officer of Minneapolis, in the US’ Minnesota, was sentenced in a federal court to 21 years in prison for violating George Floyd’s civil rights.

Chauvin previously pleaded guilty to civil rights violation during Floyd’s arrest on May 25, 2020.

That day, Chauvin pressed his knee on the African American man’s neck for nine minutes and 29 seconds.

The sentence will run concurrently with Chauvin’s state sentence of 22.5 years after he was convicted for second and third-degree murder, as well as second-degree manslaughter, Xinhua news agency reported.

He will move from state prison to federal prison.

Floyd’s death sparked massive demonstrations across the United States in the summer of 2020 against police brutality and systemic racism.

Three other former officers at the scene of Floyd’s arrest were convicted earlier this year on federal charges of depriving Floyd of his civil rights. Their sentencing dates have not been scheduled.

The federal sentence for Chauvin came as protesters were decrying police violence and racism in the fatal shooting of African American man Jayland Walker in Akron, Ohio.

The Akron Police Department on Sunday released body-camera footage of the deadly encounter, which took place after midnight on June 27 during an attempted traffic stop.

Officers attempted to pull over Walker on unspecified traffic violations and they chased his vehicle on the expressway for several minutes, according to the police.

Walker then allegedly jumped out of his car while the footage showed officers pursuing him on foot before opening fire.

The police department said officers “reported a firearm being discharged from the suspect vehicle” during the encounter.

Walker, 25, suffered more than 60 gunshot wounds and was unarmed at the time, Akron Police Chief Steve Mylett told reporters on Sunday.

Eight officers who were directly involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave as part of the protocol in a police shooting.

Akron had contacted the Ohio Attorney General’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation and requested an independent investigation into the incident. The process is underway.

ALSO READ: US hoping for G20 action on Ukraine  

Previous Story

Yemen’s warring factions agree to consolidate truce during Eid al-Adha: UN

Next Story

Chinese firm blamed for Pak power plant shut down

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Jamal Khashoggi’s wife granted political asylum in US

His killing had brought international outrage and battered the reputation

Assad’s fall a historic act of justice, says Biden 

The president also acknowledged that the latest development also brings