August 22, 2022
1 min read

Iconic Shanghai skyline goes dark

Large parts of the world’s second largest economy face a severe drought amid a record-breaking heatwave…reports Asian Lite News

The iconic skyline of Shanghai — called The Bund — will not be lit for two nights to save power, officials said, as per media reports.

The waterfront area – known for its mix of historical and futuristic buildings – is a popular tourist destination, BBC reported.

Elsewhere in China, major manufacturers in the Sichuan province said they had been hit by power cuts.

Large parts of the world’s second largest economy face a severe drought amid a record-breaking heatwave.

In a notice on Sunday, the Shanghai Landscaping and City Appearance Administrative Bureau said buildings in The Bund, which are located along the city’s largest river, will not be lit on Monday and Tuesday, BBC reported.

“We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause,” it said in the notice.

China issued its first national drought alert of the year last week, after areas, including Shanghai in the Yangtze Delta region and Sichuan in southwest China, experienced weeks of extreme heat.

The ‘yellow alert’ is the third most severe level on the official scale.

Officials in the Sichuan province, where temperatures have exceeded 40-degree Celsius said in a recent statement that rising temperatures and low rainfall, along with increased demand for air conditioning, had caused the power shortages.

The province has extended its power saving measures by five days to Thursday, according to media reports. These limit power supply to some industrial businesses.

German carmaker Volkswagen told the BBC that its factory in Chengdu – the capital of Sichuan – remains shut.

ALSO READ: Russia is China’s top oil supplier for third month

Previous Story

Israel not bound by Iran nuke deal, Lapid tells Macron

Next Story

Unease over Xi boosts security linkages within the Indo-Pacific

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

TRA proposes easing anti-dumping measures on Chinese HFP Rebar  

As such, high demand and an anticipated shortfall of supply

Chinese Workers in Pakistan Face New Realities

Reports indicate some are considering leaving the country due to