April 5, 2022
3 mins read

Iran ready to settle differences with Saudi

Iranian foreign minister said they have submitted their views in written form to the Saudi side, and are waiting for response, reports Asian Lite Newsdesk

Iran is ready to resume talks with Saudi Arabia to solve differences, the Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman announced.

“We are ready for the continuation of talks and for the settlement of differences. We have submitted our views in written form to the Saudi side, and they should express their views,” Saeed Khatibzadeh said on Monday in his weekly press briefing.

Repeating Iran’s welcome of a ceasefire in Yemen, he said this “should be completed with the beginning of intra-Yemeni dialogue and we should wait for the results.”

Recently, the foreign minister said the ties between Iran and Saudi Arabia are facing problems and challenges but Iran is working hard to keep the dialogue open between the two Middle Eastern powers.

Abdollahian had reaffirmed Iran’s red lines such as lifting sanctions “to the maximum,” for reaching an agreement in the nuclear talks in Vienna.

Abdollahian hihglighted Iran’s determination to defend the red lines set for the nuclear talks to safeguard its interests.

“We are optimistic and serious about the outcome of the Vienna talks. In our view, the agreement should be such that lifting of sanctions is done to the maximum,” he told Mikati.

“We want the agreements to be in a way that benefits the region and expands our good relations with the countries of the region,” the Iranian top diplomat said.

Following the UN-backed two-month truce in Yemen, Khatibzadeh on Saturday expressed hope that the peace initiative can be a prelude to completely lifting the siege on the Yemeni people and the establishment of a permanent ceasefire to find a political solution to the crisis, Xinhua news agency reported.

Yemen has been mired in a civil war since late 2014 when the Iran-backed Houthi militia seized control of several northern provinces and forced the Saudi-backed government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi out of the capital Sanaa.

According to the UN, the war has killed tens of thousands of people, displaced 4 million, and pushed the country to the brink of starvation.

Earlier in March, Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia Mohammed bin Salman said that the Kingdom will continue negotiating with Iran to create a brighter future for both countries.

In an interview with the US magazine The Atlantic, the crown prince said there had already been four rounds of talks with Tehran, and more would follow. “Hopefully, we can reach a position that’s good for both countries and is going to create a brighter future for this country and Iran.”

He said two countries are “neighbours for ever.”

ALSO READ: Iran blames US for halt to Vienna N-talks

“We cannot get rid of them, and they can’t get rid of us. So it’s better for both of us to work it out and to look for ways in which we can coexist. We heared statements from Iranian leaders which we welcome in Saudi Arabia,” he added.

Prince Mohammed said there had already been four rounds of talks with Tehran, and more would follow. “Hopefully, we can reach a position that’s good for both countries and is going to create a brighter future for this country and Iran.”

Regarding the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, also known as Iran nuclear deal, the crown prince said Saudi Arabia does not want to see a weaker deal.

 “I believe any country around the world that has a nuclear bomb—that’s dangerous, regardless if it’s Iran or any other country. So we don’t want to see that. And also, we don’t want to see a weak nuclear deal, because that’s going to end up with the same conclusion,” he said.

Previous Story

Upma: Flavourful instant Indian breakfast recipe

Next Story

‘Populist sops could take states to path of Lanka’

Latest from -Top News

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned

Modi Due in Sri Lanka to Cement Ties

Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Santosh Jha described the visit to island nation as “very important” and likely will set a fresh agenda for bilateral cooperation Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Dh6.3 bn residential package for Dubai citizens

The housing plan includes  3,500 plots in Umm Nahad 4 and

Iran says talks with IAEA chief constructive

Sunday’s agreement buys time for Iran before the IAEA board