November 8, 2022
2 mins read

TN fishermen on strike after SL Navy seizes boats

Fishermen were fishing in the Gulf of Mannar between Dhanushkodi and Thalaimannar at night when the Sri Lankan navy came to the area claiming to have crossed the border…reports Asian Lite News

After the Sri Lankan navy apprehended Indian fishermen and boats, Rameswaram fishermen associations decided to hold a three-day strike to condemn inaction by state and central governments, said Fishermen Association District Secretary Jesuraj.

The fishermen have condemned the Central and State Governments for not taking any action to stop the ongoing transgressive activities of the Sri Lankan Navy, added the District Secretary.

In this regard, in an emergency meeting of Fishermans Associations held at Rameswaram fishing harbour today.

Earlier today, 15 Rameswaram fishermen and two boats were apprehended by the Sri Lankan Navy.

Fishermen went to sea from Rameswaram yesterday to fish in 534 barges after obtaining a fishing permit from the Fisheries.

Fishermen were fishing in the Gulf of Mannar between Dhanushkodi and Thalaimannar at night when the Sri Lankan navy came to the area claiming to have crossed the border.

The Sri Lankan Navy has detained 22 Indian fishermen from Nagapattinam and Karaikal districts of Tamil Nadu. (Credit: Twitter/ @srilanka_navy)

The arrested fishermen and boats are being taken to Thalaimannar Naval Camp for questioning. This has created turmoil among Rameswaram fishermen.

Last week, the Supreme Court was informed by the Centre that 68 Indian fishermen, caught by Sri Lankan Navy in December 2021, have been released and repatriated to the country.

A bench of Justices Aniruddha Bose and Vikram Nath while taking into note the status report filed by the Centre closed that case which sought direction to the Centre to negotiate with the Sri Lankan government authorities to release the arrested Indian fisherman and their mechanised boat.

“We have perused the status report filed on behalf of the Union of India supported by an affidavit dated October 28, 2022. It has been stated in this report that all the 68 Indian fishermen who were apprehended between 18th to 20th December 2021 by Sri Lankan Navy, have been released and repatriated to this country. In such circumstances, we do not find any reason to keep the present petition pending. Accordingly, the same is disposed of,” the bench stated in its order.

The top court was hearing a plea filed by one KK Ramesh regarding the arrested fishermen and 10 boats which have been seized by the Sri Lankan Navy in December 2021 on the grounds of crossing the International Maritime Boundary Line while fishing.

The petition also stated that more than 100 fishermen have been illegally arrested and kept in Sri Lankan prisons where they are ill-treated, which is a violation of Human Rights.

During the hearing when the petitioner’s counsel asked the court to look into the issue regarding the marine boundary between India and Sri Lanka which has resulted in such incidents, the bench said that it cannot get into the issues regarding international treaties.

On the request of the advocate to pass directions regarding the release of the mechandised boats of the fishermen, the apex court asked him to approach the jurisdictional court. (ANI)

ALSO READ: Lanka seizes 300 kilos of heroin

Previous Story

Imran asks President to draw clear lines for ISPR

Next Story

F-16 jets roar across the skies of West Bengal

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

China agrees to back Lanka’s debt restructuring

President Ranil Wickremesinghe on Tuesday informed Parliament that the government

Wickremesinghe Due in China for BRI Meet

The third Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation which