February 28, 2022
2 mins read

UAE ‘rejects military solution’ to Ukraine crisis

The UAE’s position is firm in its rejection of “military solutions” in Ukraine, according to Dr Anwar Gargash, diplomatic adviser to President Sheikh Khalifa, who called for a diplomatic resolution to the unfolding crisis…reports Asian Lite News

“The UAE’s position is firm on the basic principles of the United Nations, international law, state sovereignty, and its rejection of military solutions,” said Gargash. “We believe that alignment and positioning will only lead to more violence, and in the Ukrainian crisis, our priorities are to encourage all parties to adopt diplomacy and negotiate to find a political settlement that ends this crisis.”

He said the world is facing “a difficult test and severe polarization” imposed by the Ukrainian crisis, which “threatens the foundations of the international community and increases the factors of instability.”

“From our experience in a region full of crises, we believe that political solutions and creating balances that enhance security and stability are the best way to confront crises and limit their effects,” he added.

Meanwhile, India, China and the UAE have abstained for the third time on a Security Council vote on Ukraine. The three became the only countries to abstain on Sunday on a procedural vote to have the 193-member General Assembly take up the Russian invasion of Ukraine at an emergency meeting.

Russia’s negative vote did not have the power of a veto and it passed with the support of 11 members from Europe, the Americas and Africa in the 15-member Council.

This is the first time the Council has called for an emergency meeting of the Assembly in 40 years — the last one was in 1982 after the US vetoed a resolution on the Israeli occupation of the Syrian Golan Heights.

ALSO READ: Ukraine to send delegation for talks

The General Assembly is scheduled to meet for the emergency session on Monday at 10 a.m. local time (8.30 p.m. in India) and consider a resolution condemning Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and demand it withdraw its troops immediately that had been vetoed by Russia in the Security Council on Friday.

Meanwhile, Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered the country’s deterrence forces to be placed on “a special mode of combat duty” in a meeting with top defence officials.

Senior officials of leading NATO members issued “aggressive statements” against Russia, Putin on Sunday said at a meeting with Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and Chief of the General Staff of the Russian Armed Forces, Valery Gerasimov.

Previous Story

Former Afghan Mayor Zarifa Ghafari returns home

Next Story

Poland sees massive influx of Ukrainian refugees

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power
Go toTop

Don't Miss

‘UAE continues strengthening food security’

Al Hashmi stressed that ensuring food abundance and the continuity

MBZ meets with Trump in Florida

His Highness expressed his appreciation for Mr Trump’s efforts in