October 7, 2022
1 min read

US forces kill top Daesh leaders in Syria

CENTCOM commander General Michael Kurilla said that “this strike will degrade Daesh’s ability to destabilise the region and strike at our forces and partners”…reports Asian Lite News

American forces have killed two top Daesh leaders in an airstrike conducted in northern Syria, the US Central Command (CENTCOM) said in a statement published here on Friday.

According to the CENTCOM statememt, the airstrike carried out at 6.32 p.m. on Thursday killed Abu-Hashum al-Umawi, a deputy Daesh leader in Syria, and another senior official of the terror group associated with him.

“Initial assessments indicate no civilians were killed or wounded during this operation. No US forces were injured or killed and there was no loss or damage to American equipment…,” the statement added.

CENTCOM commander General Michael Kurilla said that “this strike will degrade Daesh’s ability to destabilise the region and strike at our forces and partners”.

“Our forces remain in the region to ensure the enduring defeat of the terrorists,” he was quoted as saying in the statement.

Thursday’s airstrike came a day after Rakkan Wahid al-Shammri, an official known to facilitate the smuggling of weapons and fighters to support Daesh operations, was killed in a US raid near the northern Syrian village of Qamishli.

In Wednesday’s operation, one of al-Shammri’s associates was injured, while two others were detained by US forces, the CENTCOM said in a separate statement.

The US has targeted several senior Daesh officials this year in Syria.

In February, the US conducted a raid in northwest Syria in which Daesh leader Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi was killed after he blew himself up.

It was the largest American raid in Syria since the 2019 operation that killed the previous Daesh leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Qurayshi was named the terrorist group’s leader in November 2019 at the same time Daesh confirmed that Baghdadi had been killed.

ALSO READ: US accuses China, Russia of protecting N Korea at UN

Previous Story

Philadelphia apologises for experiments on African-Americans

Next Story

US blacklists Chinese drone maker DJI for military links

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Erdogan warns US ahead of NATO summit

This was two weeks before his first meeting with President

Trump grand jury likely to resume session on April 3

The grand jury is expected to reconvene in lower Manhattan,