June 13, 2022
1 min read

Number of migrants in first flight ‘close to single figures’

A Home Office source told the BBC that, of the original 37 scheduled to fly to the east African nation, legal challenges relating to modern slavery and human rights claims have drastically reduced that number…reports Asian Lite News

The number of asylum seekers due to be removed from the UK on the first deportation flight to Rwanda is close to single figures, BBC reported citing sources.

The Court of Appeal is set to decide later whether to allow the Home Office flight to depart on Tuesday.

Campaigners and migrants last week failed to win an injunction against the government policy in the High Court.

But it is thought the number facing being deported to Rwanda’s capital Kigali is falling rapidly.

A Home Office source told the BBC that, of the original 37 scheduled to fly to the east African nation, legal challenges relating to modern slavery and human rights claims have drastically reduced that number.

Earlier, Britain’s Prince Charles called the government’s plan to send asylum-seekers to Rwanda “appalling”, a report said Saturday.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson — who is also set to attend the summit — welcomed his government’s victory in a High Court hearing Friday that gave the plan a green light.

“We cannot allow people traffickers to put lives at risk and our world-leading partnership will help break the business model of these ruthless criminals,” Johnson tweeted.

Charles, however, joined others including senior Christian clerics in denouncing the plan, and fears the issue could overshadow the Commonwealth summit on June 24-25, The Times reported.

“He said he was more than disappointed at the policy,” the newspaper quoted an unidentified source as saying.

“He said he thinks the government’s whole approach is appalling. It was clear he was not impressed with the government’s direction of travel,” the source added.

A spokesman for Charles declined to comment on private conversations, “except to restate that he remains politically neutral”.

“Matters of policy are decisions for government,” the spokesman added.

ALSO READ-Nod for promotion of migrants employed under PM package

Previous Story

Macron coalition outstrips rival left by slim margin

Next Story

Explore regional

Latest from -Top News

China Says US Tariff Hikes Violate WTO Rules

China is among the hardest-hit, facing a 34 per cent levy—part of what Washington describes as reciprocal measures aimed at rebalancing trade deficits and curbing unfair trade practices China has strongly condemned

Modi Due in Sri Lanka to Cement Ties

Indian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka Santosh Jha described the visit to island nation as “very important” and likely will set a fresh agenda for bilateral cooperation Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit

India Acts as ‘First Responder’ in Myanmar: Jaishankar

Jaishankar took the opportunity to underscore India’s swift humanitarian response, highlighting Operation Brahma, which was launched to assist those affected by the earthquake. External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar on Thursday expressed India’s
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Mediterranean route to Europe still busiest for migrants

The total number of migrants arriving in the EU via

446 migrants rescued off Libyan coast last week

Earlier this week, India raised concern over the resurgence of