February 16, 2022
1 min read

Police launch probe into Prince Charles charity

The head of The Prince’s Foundation resigned last year after an internal investigation into the allegations…reports Asian Lite News

Police have launched an investigation into Prince Charles’s charitable foundation over claims of a cash-for-honours scandal involving a businessman from Middle East.

“The decision follows an assessment of a September 2021 letter. This related to media reporting alleging offers of help were made to secure honours and citizenship for a foreign national,” Scotland Yard said in a statement on Wednesday, delivering another blow to the royal family.

There have been no arrests or interviews under caution, police added.

The head of The Prince’s Foundation resigned last year after an internal investigation into the allegations.

Michael Fawcett, chief executive of the foundation, had initially agreed to suspend his duties following newspaper revelations about his links to a foreign national.

The man had donated large sums to restoration projects of particular interest to Charles. Fawcett, a former valet to the Prince of Wales who has been close to Queen Elizabeth II’s heir for decades, is alleged to have coordinated efforts to grant a royal honour and even UK citizenship to the foreign national.

The royal family is already reeling following Prince Andrew’s decision on Tuesday to settle a sexual abuse claim out of court, a scandal that has so far overshadowed Queen Elizabeth II’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations.

Charles’s foundation, which helps jobless people get back into work and start small businesses, said it took the claims “very seriously”.

The Charities Commission, which registers and oversees charities in England and Wales, said in November it had opened a formal probe into donations received by the foreign national’s charitable trust which were intended for the prince’s foundation.

ALSO READ-Global Covid caseload tops 415.1 mn

Previous Story

Soon, Covid-19 jab to children from age 5-11

Next Story

UK inflation rises at fastest rate in 30 years

Latest from -Top News

India Tightens Checks on Chinese Imports

India has ramped up monitoring of Chinese imports amid growing concerns of cheap goods being redirected into the Indian market following the United States’ steep tariff hike on Chinese exports. Commerce Secretary

Economists Warn of Impending US Recession

Leading global brokerages and economists are sounding alarm bells over the likelihood of a US recession, following the Donald Trump administration’s announcement of sweeping reciprocal tariffs on foreign imports. JPMorgan Chase &

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Boris contacted by police over lockdown parties

The prime minister’s office confirmed in a statement that he

Gulf for Good mark 20th Anniversary

Gulf for Good, a UAE non-profit organistaion celebrates 20th anniversary