June 4, 2022
1 min read

Royals lead Jubilee celebrations as Queen misses Derby

The Buckingham Palace said the the 96-year-old has pulled out of the Epsom Derby and will instead watch it on TV from Windsor, reports Asian Lite News

The Royal Family will attend Platinum Jubilee celebrations across the UK later – although the Queen Elizabeth II will miss her second event of the weekend, the BBC reported.

(Credit: The Royal Family)

The Buckingham Palace said the the 96-year-old has pulled out of the Epsom Derby and will instead watch it on TV from Windsor.

The third day of the celebrations will also see tributes from the Prince of Wales and Duke of Cambridge at an open-air concert on Saturday evening.

William will also visit Cardiff, while Prince Edward is in Northern Ireland.

According to BBC report, the Queen has been experiencing mobility problems in recent months and the palace had warned in advance that the monarch would consider which Jubilee events she felt able to attend.

She had earlier pulled out of Friday’s Jubilee thanksgiving service after experiencing “discomfort” during Thursday’s events.

She had been due to attend Saturday’s iconic horse race, but her daughter, the Princess Royal, is expected to officially represent the monarch instead.

Meanwhile, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are heading to Cardiff to meet the performers and crew behind a Jubilee concert at Cardiff Castle, which is separate to Saturday evening’s concert in London.

The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall. (Credit: The Royal Family)

At the same time, the Earl and Countess of Wessex will carry out two engagements in Northern Ireland. Prince Edward – the Queen’s youngest son – and his wife Sophie will meet children taking part in multicultural street performances, join in with art and craft sessions, and speak to people sharing their personal memories of meeting the Queen, the BBC reported.

ALSO READ: Salman Rushdie leads Queen’s birthday honours list

Previous Story

Stockholm+50 calls for ‘real’ commitment to environment

Next Story

‘China trying to erase history, threaten human rights’

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

UN experts say UK racism is “institutional, systemic”

Ugandan expert Catherine Namakula, who chairs the UN working group,

Capillary Technology wins Best Use of Customer Analytics

The Loyalty Awards 2022 covered 20 categories in all and