March 14, 2022
2 mins read

UK to offer support for probe on ‘Russian war crimes’  

This is the latest in a series of efforts to provide Ukraine with economic, diplomatic, humanitarian and defensive support alongside lethal aid…reports Asian Lite News

Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab will visit the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague on Monday to offer “practical support” from the UK for investigating alleged war crimes in Ukraine.

Raab will meet ICC Prosecutor, Karim AA Khan QC, its Registrar, Peter Lewis, and President of the Court, Judge Piotr Hofmanski. The UK Ministry of Justice, in a statement, said Raab will emphasise UK support for the Court and respect for its independence.

Dominic Raab, who is also country’s Lord Chancellor, and Secretary of State for Justice, said: “Tomorrow I will go to The Hague to offer the ICC UK technical support in bringing those responsible for war crimes in Ukraine to justice – including support with the immediate priority of gathering and preserving evidence.”

“Russian commanders carrying out war crimes should know they cannot act with impunity. Like Radovan Karadzic and Charles Taylor before them, their actions risk landing them in a jail cell.”

Separately, Dominic Raab will meet ambassadors from a range of countries to build a coalition able to provide extra assistance and cooperation to the Office of the Prosecutor to investigate war crimes in Ukraine.

The visit follows a virtual meeting last week with Ukraine’s Prosecutor General, Iryna Venediktova, and Attorney General Suella Braverman to discuss what help the country needs to collect and preserve evidence of war crimes.

This is the latest in a series of efforts to provide Ukraine with economic, diplomatic, humanitarian and defensive support alongside lethal aid. The UK Government is also investigating how to stop Russian oligarchs using the British legal system to intimidate and silence their critics.

Separately, last week the Attorney General, Suella Braverman, signed a statement with the Ukraine’s Prosecutor General which reaffirms the UK’s support for holding Russia to account for war crimes committed in Ukraine.

Russia launched a “military operation” in Ukraine on February 24, which it claimed was a response to calls from the breakaway republics of Donetsk and Luhansk for protection against attacks by Ukrainian troops.

The Russian Defense Ministry said the special operation is targeting Ukrainian military infrastructure only and the civilian population is not in danger.

ALSO READ-Breather for refugees stuck in Calais

Previous Story

UK’s response to Ukraine refugee crisis criticised

Next Story

Ukrainian children brought to England for cancer treatment

Latest from -Top News

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Bilawal in Russia to boost bilateral ties

This is Bilawal’s maiden visit to Moscow as Pakistan works

Biden warns Russia over use of N-weapons

Moscow has claimed that Ukraine intends to detonate a rudimentary