February 24, 2023
1 min read

Canada launches funding program for next-gen nuclear tech

The new programme will provide 29.6 million Canadian dollars ($24 million) over four years to develop supply chains for SMR manufacturing…reports Asian Lite News

The Canadian government has launched a new funding programme to support research and development of the country’s small modular reactor (SMR), the next generation of nuclear technologies.

The new programme will provide 29.6 million Canadian dollars ($24 million) over four years to develop supply chains for SMR manufacturing and fuel supply and security to support the crucial elements necessary for Canada’s SMR industry to thrive, according to a statement issued by Natural Resources Canada.

It will also fund research on safe SMR waste management solutions to ensure that SMRs, and the waste they generate, will be safe now and into the future, the statement added.

On February 6, 2023, Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada had a similar fund programme to support university applicants in their efforts to address waste generated from SMRs and develop SMR supply chains, the statement said.

Last year, through an inter-provincial Memorandum of Understanding, the provincial governments of Ontario, Saskatchewan, New Brunswick and Alberta put forward a nuclear plan that will transition them toward SMRs with the first 300-megawatt plant to be built in Darlington, Ontario, by 2028. The project would support Canadian efforts to become a global SMR technology hub in a market estimated to be 150 billion Canadian dollars ($120 billion) per year by 2040, Xinhua news agency reported.

SMRs, which are nearly 300 megawatts or less, have a smaller footprint and a shorter construction schedule, compared to traditional nuclear generating stations. Energy experts said there is no path to bringing the world’s carbon emissions to zero by 2050 without nuclear.

ALSO READ: Canada welcomes record number of Indian students in 2022

Previous Story

Blinken to visit Central Asia and India from Feb 28

Next Story

After temples,Khalistanis target Indian consulate in Brisbane under

Latest from -Top News

Protests across US against Trump

The largest event was at the National Mall in DC, where demonstrators numbered in the tens of thousands People across the US took to the streets on Saturday to oppose what left-leaning

Namibia voices concern over US tariffs

AGOA is a non-reciprocal trade arrangement aimed at supporting development in African countries through preferential access to US markets The Namibian government has expressed concern over newly imposed US tariffs, warning that

Africa CDC calls for self-reliance

Data from the African Union’s specialised healthcare agency show that the continent, over the past 24 months, has witnessed an “unprecedented surge in public health emergencies,” rising from 152 disease outbreaks in

US to revoke all South Sudan visas

Trump’s administration has taken aggressive measures to ramp up immigration enforcement, including the repatriation of people deemed to be in the US illegallyThe US said on Saturday it would revoke all visas

Panama wants ‘respectful’ ties with US

The US State Department said Landau had “expressed gratitude for Panama’s cooperation in halting illegal immigration and working with the US to secure a nearly 98% decrease in illegal immigration Panama hopes
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Canada Grapples with Historical Apology for Awarding Nazi Veteran

The Division members have been accused of killing Polish and

Canadians stage protest in Montreal after death of Sikh kids

Protesters said they want expanded use of domestic violence tracking