September 28, 2023
3 mins read

China Tries to Block Uyghur Activist at UN

A Chinese diplomat interrupted Dolkun Isa’s speech and demanded the floor to object…reporst Asian Lite News

Uyghur Congress president Dolkun Isa was interrupted twice by the Chinese as he began speaking in a general debate during the 54th Session of the UNHRC in Geneva on Wednesday.

A Chinese diplomat interrupted his speech and demanded the floor to object. The Chinese diplomat said Isa is not a representative of the “so-called NGO”. However, UN Human Rights Council Vice President Asim Ahmed allowed Uyghur activists to complete his statement.

In his intervention, Dolkun Isa said, “Once again, I’m in this Council to urge member states and UN bodies to act on the ongoing Uyghur genocide in China. It’s been over a year since the OHCHR assessment, but we haven’t seen any tangible action to address this situation”.

He added, “Since then, many UN experts have repeated their concerns, including the CERD. The CESCR and CEDAW committees have also issued their concluding observations urging China to end the counter-terrorism policies legitimizing the repression”.

Just yesterday, UN special rapporteurs have expressed grave concerns over the forced separation of Uyghur children with the expansion of the state-run boarding schools and the erosion of their linguistic rights.

Isa told the UN, “Despite the increasing number of UN documents, this Council has failed to meaningfully address accountability avenues”.

“In the meantime, Uyghurs in the diaspora are watching our relatives disappear one by one, receiving news about their deaths, and constantly facing reprisals. Just a few days ago, we learned about Prof. Rahile Dawut’s life imprisonment. My own brother Hushtar Isa also was sentenced to life. I lost My mother in a concentration camp”, he added.

Dolkan Isa said in his statement, “In a recent visit to Urumchi, Xi Jinping repeated that the counter-terrorism policies are a long-term plan, stating that the repression will not end anytime soon. We must remember to uphold the promise of Never Again”.

While speaking to ANI, the Uyghur Congress President condemnded the act, and alleged that the Chinese government was trying to “hide the truth.”

“It was not the first time. Of course, the Chinese government don’t want to see me as a council. The Chinese government don’t want Uygur’s voice to rise in the UN humanitarian council because today millions of people are still suffering in concentration camps,” he said.

He further claimed, “More than a million Uyghur children separate from family. This is a serious issue today. This is the correct platform to raise this issue. But the Chinese government don’t want it. Chinese government trying to hide the reality Chinese government trying to hide its crime in front of the UN and the other international platforms.”

Earlier on September 26, The United Nations expressed concern over the allegations of a significant expansion of Xinjiang’s State-run boarding school system in China which fails to provide education in the children’s mother tongue and forcibly separates Uyghur and other minority Muslim children from their families and communities, leading to their forced assimilation, said an official press release from United Nations Human Rights.

The release from the UN said that the Uyghur children placed in these boarding schools reportedly have little or no access to education in the Uyghur language and are under increasing pressure to speak and learn only Mandarin (Putonghua), as opposed to education aimed at achieving bilingualism in both Uyghur and Mandarin. Teachers can also be sanctioned for using the Uyghur language outside of specific language classes. (ANI)

ALSO READ: Tharoor slams China for denying visa to Arunachal athletes

Previous Story

Xi-Dahal Joint Statement Has ‘Imlications’ For Tibet

Next Story

Pakistan to Evict Afghan Refugees En Masse

Latest from -Top News

Trump tariffs send world markets into panic

US benchmark crude oil shed $2.70 to $64.25 a barrel after major oil producers announced they plan to increase production. Brent crude, the international standard, was down $2.63 at $67.51 a barrel

EU prepares retaliation for Trump’s tariffs

The European Commission is assembling a fresh round of counter-tariffs aimed at US goods, adding to two existing lists of potential targets—one of which includes products that were hit by suspended tariffs

US, EU slam China’s war games near Taiwan

US President Donald Trump underscored the need to maintain peace in the Taiwan Strait, advocating for a diplomatic approach to cross-strait tensions while warning against the use of force The United States

£13.9 billion of R&D fund to boost innovation, jobs

Funding outlined to support transformational R&D in areas like life sciences, green energy, engineering and beyond More UK innovators like those developing treatment-transforming dementia tests or building world-leading testing facilities to power

OPEC+ accelerates oil output hikes

Despite the production boost, the group emphasised that future adjustments remain flexible and could be paused or reversed depending on market conditions. Eight OPEC+ nations have unexpectedly decided to accelerate their oil
Go toTop

Don't Miss

Covid origin: China using different conspiracy theories to shift blame

China has been denying the reports that coronavirus leaked from

UN Targets North Korea Rights Violations 

It is the first time the council will hold a